Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe Review

Discussion in 'Reviews and Tests' started by jasonX, Jul 23, 2016.

1. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe Review

[​IMG]

All of us have a ton of images lying around our hard drives or flash drives or even in the cloud. Sorting it out and from time to time taking a look at it (those ton of images) sometimes makes it hard and most often will bore you. We take a lot of photos so we can have copies or souvenirs of those events in our lives that we embrace as part of us like when getting married, having a first baby, celebrating a birthday or just simply having a beer with the buddies! Now what better tool can we use to better reminisce those moments than a slideshow presentation with that music that will remind us of that event!

Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe can be that tool for you in terms of creating that slideshow. WDSB is an easy-to-use photo/image and video to DVD slideshow program. This is a review of WDSB - Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe in line with our upcoming giveaways sponsored by Wondershare.

So let's get in on and let's start with the Standard Mode.

When you run Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder (WDSB) for the first time you will be prompted to choose from two (2) Modes. (1) Standard Mode which is pretty much all template based and it pretty great if you need a fast track production slideshow with all pre-installed pre-set movie styles, and (2) Advanced Mode where you are given more granular/customization options to suit your needs for a more unique slideshow you have in mind. One thing I'd like to point out is that the Advanced Mode permits photo, GIF and video insertions/combinations in your slideshow.

[​IMG]

Standard Mode Slideshow Creation

When you select the "Standard Mode" you will be shown a blank "Organize" screen where you will add photos to your slideshow. There are 3 stages of slideshow creation highlighted at the top-left portion of the Standard Mode main gui, (A) Organize (B) Personalize (C) Create.

A - Organize Stage
    Click 'Add Files' > Select the location where the images are stored and then select them to be included in your slideshow. Let it be noted that the Add Files>default view of Wondershare DVD is Slideshow Builder is in "Collapse" mode. It would be better to click the "Expand View" so you can see "all" the images that you have imported. Why? I found out that arranging the photos/images in the exact way you want it to be presented in the slideshow is difficult in the collapse view. You will have to scroll left-to-right in order to arrange all images properly. Well in some cases that you have a big screen monitor it would be okay but for those with only 18" as mine it is not. By selecting "Expand" you will be able to view all the photos/images you have imported and right then and there you can set/decide the arrangement you want. Doing so will also let you see what really "is" needed and what is not(just select and hit "delete"), from there if you find that you need more photos/images, just click the Add Files' at the top left portion of the screen and add what you want. See images below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you have arranged all to your preference you can then proceed to the next stage which is (B) Personalize.

B - Personalize Stage
    When you proceed to the "Personalize" you will notice that WDSB has pre-selected a template for your slideshow. You can edit it to your preference but before that glancing to the left portion of the Personalize gui we can see the categories given by WDSB as options for the slideshow you want to create. There are actually 5 categories given:

(1) Style
    (2) Clipart
    (3) Effect
    (4) Pre-Audio
    (5) Intro/Credit

(1) Style
    You will need to select a "Style" from the pre-set template provided. There are a lot of options to choose from depending on the occasion or the theme that you have in mind. For this sampler I just selected random styles to suit the image that I have imported. Please see Style content selection below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using Styles
    As mentioned previously the moment you go to the "Personalize Tab", WDSB will preselect a template for you, this is just a random selection that WDSB will give you and it may not suit your preferences and your theme or shall I say, storyline.

Look closely now as you will see in the Styles menu that every "Styles" are coded with a number pair. Kindly see image below. It is shown that Style>Movie>Double slide01 has been selected. It has a number pair of "24s x 4". It means "24s" -- 24 seconds is the total time of the Style>Double slide01. The "4" is 4 images. So for 4 images the total time that will be consumed is 24 seconds. Please see image below. You will see that in the photo #4 enlarged is the "end time" of 24 seconds.

[​IMG]

The same rationality for the different Styles coded/represented by their respective number pair. Please see image below.

[​IMG]

The 5th set has a number pair of 48s x 8 (meaning 48seconds per 8 images). The 5th set will end in exactly 48 seconds of the 8th image. The first 4 sets used styles with 24s x 4. So that will be 4 sets x 24s x 4images/set. To check for the total end-time at the 8th image of the 5th set (so doing a little math),

For first 4 sets ---> 24sec x 4sets = 96sec
    For 5th set ---> 48sec
    Thus ---> 96sec + 48sec / 60 = 2.40 minutes (2 min 40 sec)

(2) Clipart
    There are provided cliparts that can add some accent to your photos depending on the occasion or theme you have in mind. You can also download free resource from Wondershare to add to the existing templates provided. Among the cliparts provided are animals, Festival and Funny. Please see included Clipart content below.

[​IMG]

Using Clipart
    You can select from the given clipart content anything that will suit your preferences and your theme or shall I say, storyline. Take the case of the image below. These are kids so if you want you can either select something that kids want like "Balloon1". All you have to do is select "Ballon1" and WDSB will play a short preview of what will be the image with that particular clipart. To edit the clipart just double-click the "Balloon1" in Effect selection gui and you will see a window which shows a couple of options given to you for editing. You can rotate the clipart, resize it and adjust its "alpha/opacity/transparency". You can also add an use several clipart combinations in a photo and also can combine "effects" will be discussed next. Please see images/.mp4 below.

[​IMG]

(3) Effect
    There are provided effects that can add some also accent to your photos depending on the occasion or theme you have in mind. Please see effects of Heart1 on a photo below.

[​IMG]

Using Effects
    You can select from the given effects content anything that will suit your preferences and your theme or shall I say, storyline. Take the case of the image below. These two lovely ladies deserve something that will accentuate their giddiness so I decided to add the "Heart1" effect to their image. Now to be a bit systematic and to really time the "entry/start" and "exit/end" of the selected effect I will show it's adjustment in the Timeline View.

In the 'Timeline View' you will see that there is a "timeline-marker" (--box-colored red) that you can drag where you want it to be in the whole of the slideshow timeline.

[​IMG]

Place the "timeline-marker" to where you want the effect to start/enter and then double-click the preferred effect (in this case "Heart1"). Notice that the effect is placed exactly where you have placed the timeline-marker.

[​IMG]

In "Timeline View" it is crucial to determine the time versus the image in the slideshow. Take the case of the second image (two love ladies) Style>Double slide01 (24s x 4), the start time for the 2nd photo/image is "0.00:11.27" and end time is "0.00:17.26" before it switches to the 3rd photo/image. It is only right that the effect or any object such as clipart or pre-audio should fall between the duration of the photo.

[​IMG]

During the creation you may decide to change the placement of the effect/object to another location in the timeline (within the duration of the photo, in this case the 2nd photo). Just place the mouse pointer to the effect and wait till it changes to a 2-headed arrow. Drag the 2-headed arrow left or right according to your time preference. When you drag the timeline-marker left or right, WDSB will show slideshow-movement in the screen thus helping you where to place the effect or any object for that matter properly or according to your preference. Of course you can always use the play function to see it live and in action.

See images below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4) Pre-Audio
    A pre-audio track has been included that can go along the type of Clipart or Effect you will choose for slideshow or for a specific photo/image. For example there is a "Dog2" clipart that can use the "Dog2" pre-audio content or a "Chicken" clipart for the "Rooster1" pre-audio content given. Of course you are not limited to the pre-audio content given as you can record whatever sound that you want in .mp3 and .wma and use it as a audio-sound via the Add>Music option which will be later discussed in this review. Kindly see Pre-Audio content below.

[​IMG]

Using Pre-Audio
    Again as in the Effects, use the Timeline View so you can aptly and efficiently place the "entry/start" and "exit/end" of the selected Pre-Audio content, within the photo duration and versus the photo-slide movement. See image below.

[​IMG]

(5) Intro/Credit
    A slideshow needs an introduction and end-credits so as to formalize it. In WDSB there are ample templates that can suffice for occasions such as Valentine's Day, Wedding, Christmas, New Year and some like a simple "Home", Travel/Navigation or Discover/Presents theme. You of course can customize your own by importing an image of your choice and adding the text you want to introduce and end your slideshow. See images below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

revC0de, Gdant and Lucent Warrior like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. jasonX

Editing Elements in WDSB

Edit Photo
    To edit a photo just double-click the image/picture. Notice that the "Edit Photo" windows will appear. Now it has two (2) Tabs namely the, (1) Edit -wherein you will be given options to edit the photo itself and (2) Caption - wherein you can add subtitles or captions to the photo.

[​IMG]

(1) Edit Tab
    In the Edit tab you are given four (4) options: (1) Adjust (2) Crop (3) Filter and (4) Repair Red-Eye.

Adjust, where you can select either "Auto Repair" or adjust to your preference based on (a)Hue (b)Saturation (c)Brightness (d)Contrast.

Crop, option gives you option to crop to preferred aspect ratio or no crop at all. You can also do manual cropping with which the end-effect size will be reflected in the "cut position" and "photo size". You will be provided with endpoints where you can manually drag each endpoints to your preference. See image of manual cropping below.

Filter, option gives you option to changes the appearance of your photo to your preferred filer effect. See image where the photo is filtered to look as if it were an "Old Photo" below.

To repair red-eyes that sometimes come up when we shoot photos, a Repair Red-Eye is present. Just click "Add Red-eye Region" and drag the resize endpoints to your preference, apply the red-eye repair by clicking the "Apply" button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(2) Caption Tab
    To add captions or subtitles on the image, double-click the image/picture>Caption. A box will appear where you can type-in anything that you like perhaps that best describes the image. In this case let us insert the names of the persons, "Justin and Didi". Clicking "Font" gives you all you need to edit the text you entered, font, style, size including the text effects (color, shadow, underline or halation). Aside from the "text effects" in the "Font Tab", you are also given Text Effect which is how the text will appear in the photo. For this sampler specific photo we will choose "Scroll Right". Please see images below.

[​IMG]

To add captions or subtitles on the image, double-click the image/picture>Caption. A box will appear where you can type-in anything that you like perhaps that best describes the image. In this case let us insert the names of the persons, "Justin and Didi". Clicking "Font" gives you all you need to edit the text you entered, font, style, size including the text effects (color, shadow, underline or halation).

You can also add 'captions' to a photo via the "subtitle" function. See image below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: I would like to point out that when adding single-subtitles or single-captions on a slideshow, the user must just pick one method.

Either:

(1) Via the Edit Photo>Captions Tab, or
    (2) Via the "Subtitles Tab" in the timeline.

It is because the Timeline View does not show the "caption" that was applied in the Storyboard>Edit Photo>Captions Tab. It will only show the subtitles added via the "Subtitles Tab" in the timeline. If a user often switches from "Storyboard" to "Timeline View" and vice-versa then he/she is prone to having "double-subtitles" or "double captions". This seems to be an overlap function intended as a "dual-function" as the addition of caption or subtitles for that matter can only be applied "once" in a photo. Of course this dual-function has its uses because as I experimented you use it to add a second line of text anywhere in the photo.

[​IMG]

This seems to be an overlap function intended as a "dual-function" as the addition of caption or subtitles for that matter can only be applied "once" in a photo. Of course this dual-function has its uses because as I experimented you use it to add a second line of text anywhere in the photo. Please see excerpt of what I think of it it's intended usage.

Emma_Louise.mp4

4. jasonX

Adding Background Music
    Any slideshow will be dull as a stale beer when it doesn't have a music background that will make you tap and move to the beat to remember or reminisce the images (when it was taken what happened during those times when that photo was taken etc.) you have imported. In WDSB as with any software of this kind you are given that option also.

Too add music you can just click the "Double-click to add music here" in either the "Storyboard" or the "Timeline View" whichever you prefer. Me I'd rather select the content I want added in the "Storyboard View" and then switch/edit later in Timeline View but then again that's just me. See images below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In adding music there are two possible scenarios here whether your selected music will "fit" the whole of the slideshow (that is "if" you want to use just one music for the whole project) or not. The timeline view will clearly show you that. In this case the Rod Stewart - Forever Young.mp3 exceeds the slideshow. To edit, just double-click the imported music and the "Edit Music" window will appear which gives you the option to edit (1) the start/end of the music via the sliders provided, (2) the sound level of the music also via sliders, and (3) Fade-in/Fade-Out via check boxes. A reset button is also provided. See image below.

[​IMG]

WDSB by default will repeat the music you added if it is only a single track of music if ever the music you import is less than the total time of the slideshow.

C - Create Stage
    Now that you have finished the slideshow editing you are ready to create/finish-up your slideshow. The Create Stage gives you 3 options to:

(1) Create/Burn to DVD (after all WDSB is DVD Slideshow Builder) and
    (2) Save as file to your computer
    (3) Share in Youtube

Create/Burn to DVD
    Here you are given options to create the menu for your DVD and preview it. There are pre-loaded templates in WDSB that you can use or if you want it really personalized you can import images or videos that will act your DVD menu. Editing options present.

If you do not fancy the background of the DVD template you can use; (a) A saved slideshow in your computer (b) an image (c) use a video clip (d) use a color as plate. You are given a slider to set the time the background is to play. Take the case of the example I used which is a video clip of Warner Bros. See image below.

[​IMG]

Edit Menu options allows you to edit (like any other DVD creation software):

(a) Background
    (b) Background Music
    (c) Thumbnail
    (c) Frame Style
    (d) Text, and
    (e) Button Style

Output settings are also given wherein:

(a) You can assign the DVD volume name,
    (b) Set how many copies you would like to burn
    (c) What size/type of DVD you will use (either D5 - 4.7 gb or D9 - 7.9 gb)
    (d) Create a DVD Folder
    (e) Create a DVD File image

Further options are also present like, what burn device to use, what burning engine to use(either the native Windows or StarBurn) what TV standard, video quality(either Best, Good or Better) and the Aspect Ratio.

Please images below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Save As File/Share in Youtube
    WDSB allows you save your slideshow project as filetype. Other options to save to as filetype, filetype quality or device-type based are below:

(a) Save to Computer
    (b) Save as HD (quality)
    (c) Save to Apple Device
    (d) Save to Mobile Device
    (c) Share to YouTube

It should be noted that the "share to YouTube" is just for YouTube and WDSB does not offer to share to Facebook, Vimeo or other social networking sites via it's gui. So if you fancy sharing to other sites, the thing to do is save it as a different filetype, use your preferred converter and then share.

In this sampler I opted to save it as MPEG-4 Video filetype. Options to save to .mp4 filetypes are:

(1) Video elements (a) Video Resolution (b) Frame Rate (c) Encoder (d) Bit Rate
    (2) Audio elements (a) Sample Rate (b) Encoder (c) Bit Rate
    (3) Location where you want to save the slideshow project as "filetype"(again in this case .mp4)

Unfortunately WDSB will save it as "Slideshow1" always. I do not understand why this is so. This is quite odd as you cannot specify your preferred filename when you save it to a preferred destination/location. So it would be a good thing to rename it after its creation so as not to cause confusion in the long run. The project file sampler which has a total play-time of 4 minutes took around 20-25 minutes to save as to .mp4. Just okay for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's about it for the Standard Mode Creation. The rough output I uploaded at YouTube (I did not use WDSB gui because my internet is very slow and bad at the moment). The sampler is below.

Advanced Mode Slideshow Creation

When you select the "Advanced Mode" setup is pretty much the same even the functions and how you create the end file of your project. You will also be shown a blank "Organize" screen where you will add photos to your slideshow. There are 3 stages of slideshow creation highlighted at the top-left portion of the Standard Mode main GUI, (A) Organize (B) Personalize (C) Create.

The (A) Organize and (C) Create are pretty much the same. The only thing that differs in Advanced Mode is the (B) Personalize.

B - Personalize Stage

WSDB gets granular so to speak and will allow you more options in your slideshow creation. There are no more pre-loaded movie templates or "Styles" which if we will remember has a number pair like 24s x 4 or 48s x 8 but it is replaced by "Transitions" and "Motions".

There are actually 6 categories given:

(1) Transitions
    (2) Motions
    (3) Clipart
    (4) Effect
    (5) Pre-Audio
    (6) Intro/Credit

Aside from the (1) Transitions and (2) Motions, all the rest (3) Clipart, (4) Effects, (5) Pre-Audio and (6) Intro/Credit contents are the same as of Standard Mode creation.

WDSB also lets you switch from Standard Mode to Advanced Mode creation but let it be noted that you will lose the Style you selected in Standard Mode. The rest of the content like the Effects, Clipart, Pre-Audio, Intro/Credit and imported music will be retained.

Kindly see the GUI for the Advanced Slideshow creation comparison from Storyboard to Timeline View below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is the image of the Transition contents and the Motion contents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With these "Transitions" and "Motions" you will have more granularity to set whatever you want set per slide basis. The editing options are all the same for: (a) Edit Photo, (b) Add Subtitles via Timeline View or via the Edit Photo>Captions Tab, and (c) Add Music as well as Effects, Clipart, Pre-Audio and Intro/Credit. Applying the selected Transition or Motion for that matter is done by either dragging or by double-clicking. Same procedure as in Standard Mode. Due to this I will not dwell long in this regard.

In Advanced Mode all you need are more materials and your imagination to generate a great slideshow. Let it also be noted that a finished project made in the Standard Mode can also be imported as a slide in the Advanced Mode. Same procedure you can just go back to 'Organize>Add Files' and add it there. Also as mentioned in the first part of this review, Advanced Mode permits photo, GIF and video insertions/combinations in your slideshow.

I made a rough video sampler using the Advanced Mode with GIF''s and video excerpts (from Kung Fu Panda 3--from YouTube also). Please take note that this is a "rough" video and is not edited to look very nice but rather just to show the difference between creation between Standard Mode and Advanced Mode. Kindly see the uploaded video below.

That's about as far as I will go in the Advanced Slideshow Creation Mode as the creation is pretty much the same aside from the "Transition" and "Motion" in replacement of the "Styles" in Standard Mode.

OBSERVATIONS/FINAL WORD:

Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe (WDSB) is a great tool to make slideshow presentations for home use (and office use too --I'd use it in my presentations!). For those with experience with video editing WDSB will be as easy peanuts. For the newbie it is not so difficult to understand and a couple of trial creations with the Standard Mode you will be able to understand it well enough to go to Advanced Mode. It's like making a presentation in PowerPoint but much better. For fast slideshow creation the Standard Mode is more than enough and you can create great slideshows with the movie styles it has. For those that need more granularity or you have something more in mind the Advanced Mode is for you.

A couple of observations:

Share to YouTube ONLY. No Vimeo, Facebook etc.
    WDSB doesn't permit to upload to any other social networking sites other than YouTube via it's gui. As mentioned in the review in order for you to upload to other sites such as Facebook or Vimeo you'd have to save it to a filetype like .mp4 and use your video converter and upload it manually. Wondershare Filmora (their video editing software) permits that.

Cannot save project to a specific name.
    The 'Save as Filetype' will always save it to "Slideshow1". Very Odd. You cannot save it to any other name. The workaround is that you will have to rename it after the slideshow creation to differentiate it from your other files.

Captions Tab text entry is not seen in Timeline View.
    As also mentioned in the review (Captions Tab) when you insert a caption via the Edit Photo>Captions Tab it will not be seen in the Timeline View. This makes you prone to double-captions. But as also pointed out this may be an overlap function intended as a "dual-function" as the addition of a second caption or subtitles for that matter is not permitted per photo. How to use this overlap function has been demonstrated in Emma_Louise.mp4 above.

In this world of ours that we have all the tools we need to take lots and lots and LOTS of pictures and images we are left with more than a handful of images that we just keep in our hard drives or usb or in cloud storage. Some images we take because we went to this remarkable place and we wanted to have some souvenir of that event. Or when a memorable moment suffices we take those pictures so that we will always remember that event close to our hearts. Making a slideshow of those memorable events in our lives is as close to making video footage. There has been a time when we are that busy and we cannot take photos and videos all at the same time and we assign someone specifically to take photos only and the other video footage only. Sometimes you capture something in photo which was disregarded in video. WDSB helps us to make those photo/images video combination more memorable via its Advanced Mode slideshow creation. I definitely will keep a copy of this in any of my desktop/laptop as I am fond of keeping memories for the family/friends alike.

You can download a trial version (10 day) of Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe ver 6.5.1 below:

Online Installer HERE

Offline Installer HERE

User Guide Link HERE

Home Page HERE

Please stay tuned for the upcoming Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder Deluxe and Wondershare Filmora (Video Editing Software) Giveaway soon here at Tweakbytes.

:)

revC0de, guardian, Gdant and 2 others like this.
  5. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Very, very nice!! :)

Excellent job again, my friend!! :D

revC0de, RGiskardR and Lucent Warrior like this.
  6. Gdant

Gdant Senior Member Known Member

nice review jasonX:)

revC0de and jasonX like this.