WinRAR v5.20

Discussion in 'Reviews and Tests' started by BC2Tweak, Feb 11, 2015.

1. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Hello All,

Here goes the Review for WinRAR v5.20. You could also possibly use this a Tutorial on the functions of WinRAR, as it is pretty detailed. It was really fun and enjoyable to examine the different aspects of this great piece of software. :)

WinRAR v5.20 Review - Part 1

* Created and Produced By: Alexander Roshal and win.rar GmbH.
    * Can Be Downloaded Here: http://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0
    * Additional Information Can Be Found Here: http://www.rarlab.com; http://www.win-rar.com/faq.html; http://www.win-rar.com/features.html
    * Cost Of The Program: $29.00 USD (Excluding VAT).

Overview Summary

* Version 5.20 is the latest Non-Beta Version.
    * You can download a version for several Operating Systems:
    -- Windows (32-Bit/64-Bit).
    -- Linux and Linux 64-Bit.
    -- FreeBSD.
    -- Mac OS X.
    -- Google Android.
    --- For all Android users, RAR Lab has an RAR for Android App available on Google Play.
    --- This Android App does not require a License to use.
    * WinRAR will open the following archive types, by default:
    WinRAR1.jpg
    -- RAR (Native Format)/- ZIP/- 7-Zip/- ACE/- ARJ /- BZ2/- CAB/- Gzip/- ISO/- JAR/- LZH/- TAR/
    -- UUE/- XZ/- Z
    * WinRAR will create the following archive types:
    WinRAR2.jpg
    -- RAR/- RAR5/- ZIP/and - SFX (Self Extracting)
    --- RAR Lab recommends using RAR5 compression, as it offers the best security with
    AES 256-Bit Password Encryption.
    * You have several available compression methods:
    -- Store: adds files to archive with maximum possible speed, but without any compression.
    -- Fastest: compresses poorly, but is very fast; might be more suitable for daily backups.
    -- Fast.
    -- Normal: for everyday use like compressing email attachments.
    -- Good.
    -- Best: provides highest, but slowest compression; for Internet distribution.
    * WinRAR is very configurable, in every aspect of its operation.
    * WinRAR does not unnecessarily consume exorbitant amounts of system resources, when running.
    * WinRAR is very affordable.
    * WinRAR provides great support, when it might be needed.

Detailed View Of WinRAR

* Now, we shall look at the different aspects/operations of WinRAR.
    -- Here's what the “Main WinRAR Interface” will look like, when the program opens up. Please be aware that the folders/files shown will not be the same as what you will see, since I am using my copy of WinRAR to provide this review.

* Now let's starting looking at the different aspects of WinRAR.
    -- First, we will start examining what is contained on the “Menu Bar”.
    WinRARInterfaceMainScreenMenuBar.jpg
    -- We will start with the Drop-Down “File Menu”. By the way, what we mean by “Drop-Down” is: that when you mouse-click on the word “File” or use a keyboard command (such as, ALT+F [in Windows 7]), the contents of the “File Menu” opens up, or drops down into a list, as seen in the screen shot below.
    WinRARFileMenu.jpg WinRARFileMenu1.jpg
    -- Then, we will examine the Drop-Down “Commands Menu”. By the way, what we mean by “Drop-Down” is: that when you mouse-click on the word “Commands” or use a keyboard command (such as, ALT+C [in Windows 7]), the contents of the “Commands Menu” opens up, or drops down into a list, as seen in the screen shot below.
    WinRARCommandsMenu.jpg WinRARCommandsMenu1.jpg
    -- Then, we will examine the Drop-Down “Tools Menu”. By the way, what we mean by “Drop-Down” is: that when you mouse-click on the word “Tools” or use a keyboard command (such as, ALT+S [in Windows 7]), the contents of the “Tools Menu” opens up, or drops down into a list, as seen in the screen shot below.
    WinRARToolsMenu1.jpg
    -- Then, we will examine the Drop-Down “Favorites Menu”. By the way, what we mean by “Drop-Down” is: that when you mouse-click on the word “Favorites” or use a keyboard command (such as, ALT+O [in Windows 7]), the contents of the “Favorites Menu” opens up, or drops down into a list, as seen in the screen shot below.
    WinRARFavoritesMenu1.jpg
    -- Then, we will examine the Drop-Down “Options Menu”. By the way, what we mean by “Drop-Down” is: that when you mouse-click on the word “Options” or use a keyboard command (such as, ALT+N [in Windows 7]), the contents of the “Options Menu” opens up, or drops down into a list, as seen in the screen shot below.
    WinRAROptionsMenu1.jpg
    -- Then, we will examine the Drop-Down “Help Menu”. By the way, what we mean by “Drop-Down” is: that when you mouse-click on the word “Help” or use a keyboard command (such as, ALT+H [in Windows 7]), the contents of the “Help Menu” opens up, or drops down into a list, as seen in the screen shot below.
    WinRARHelpMenu1.jpg
    -- Now, let us examine what I'm calling the “WinRAR Toolbar”, as thiscontains specific functions, found in the “Menu Bar”, which become easy to access, by simply mouse-clicking on them. Here's what this “Toolbar” looks like.
    WinRARInterfaceToolbar1.jpg
    --- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Add Button”.
    WinRARInterfaceToolbar2.jpg
    ** As you can see, there are 7 Tabs, located in this Pop-Up Dialog Box. The “General Tab” is automatically displayed when this Pop-Up Dialog Box is displayed. As you can see, from the Screenshot above, there are 6 more Tabs listed on the Pop-Up Dialog Box . Now, let's see what is on each of these remaining 6 Tabs. **
    --- This is the “Advanced Tab”.
    WinRARAddButtonAdvancedTab.jpg
    --- This is the “Options Tab”.
    WinRARAddButtonOptionsTab.jpg
    --- This is the "Files Tab".
    WinRARAddButtonFilesTab.jpg
    --- This is the "Backup Tab".
    WinRARAddButtonBackupTab.jpg
    --- This is the "Time Tab".
    WinRARAddButtonTimeTab.jpg
    --- This is the "Comment Tab".
    WinRARAddButtonCommentTab.jpg
    -- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Extract To Button”, for the first time, because you may not have selected a File/Folder to extract data from.
    WinRARExtractToButton1.jpg
    --- So then, you must select a File/Folder to “Extract” data from. Here's a screenshot indicating we have selected a .zip file to “Extract” data from.
    WinRARExtractToButton2.jpg
    --- So, when we have selected a file/folder to “Extract” data from, then we will mouse-click on the “Extract To” Button, once again, and this is what we should see, instead of the previous Pop-Up Dialog Box.
    WinRARExtractToButton3.jpg
    --- And this is what is on the “Advanced Tab”, as shown above.
    WinRARExtractToButton3a.jpg
    -- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Test Button”, for the first time, because you may not have selected a File/Folder to Test.
    WinRARInterfaceTestButton1.jpg
    --- So then, we need to select a File/Folder to test.
    WinRARInterfaceTestButton1a.jpg
    --- Then, we will mouse-click the “Test Button”, again. And after the Testing is completed, we will get a Results Dialog Box. Now your results will not necessarily always be what is shown, as sometimes you could get a File/Folder that has problems. For now, we get Positive Test Results.
    WinRARInterfaceTestButton1b.jpg
    WinRARInterfaceTestButton1c.jpg
    -- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “View Button”.
    WinRARViewButton.jpg
    -- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Delete Button”, for the first time, because you may not have selected a File/Folder to delete.
    WinRARDeleteButton1.jpg
    --- So then, we need to select a File/Folder to delete.
    WinRARDeleteButton1a.jpg

** This Review Will Be Continued Below. Please Scroll Down A Little!! Thank you for reading this Review!! I hope that it provides a enjoyable and pleasurable experience for you!! **

Hello All,

Here is the remainder of the Review for WinRAR v5.20. You could also possibly use this a Tutorial on the functions of WinRAR, as it is pretty detailed. It was really fun and enjoyable to examine the different aspects of this great piece of software. :)

WinRAR v5.20 Review - Part 2

--- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Find Button”.
    WinRARFindButton1a.jpg

-- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Wizard Button”.
    WinRARWizardButton1a.jpg
    -- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Info Button”, for the first time, because you may not have selected a File/Folder to get info on.
    WinRARInfoButton0.jpg
    --- So, let's go select a file.
    --- Now, we will go back and mouse-click on the “Info Button”, again. This time we should be seeing this Pop-Up Dialog Box.
    WinRARInfoButton3.jpg
    --- As you can see in the above Screenshot, we find 3 Tabs. We have the: “Info Tab”, then the: “Comment Tab”, the lastly, the: “SFX Tab”. We will examine each Tab more closely below.
    ---- Now, let's take a closer look at the “Info Tab”, as shown above.
    WinRARInfoButton1a.jpg
    ---- Now, let's take a closer look at the “Comment Tab”, as shown above.
    WinRARInfoButton1b.jpg
    ---- Now, let's take a closer look at the “SFX Tab”, as shown above.
    WinRARInfoButton1c.jpg
    -- So, here is what is displayed when you mouse-click on the “Repair Button”, for the first time, because you may not have selected a File/Folder to repair.
    WinRARRepairButton1a.jpg
    --- So, let's go select a file.
    WinRARFindButton2.jpg
    --- Now, we will go back and click on the “Repair Button”, again. This time we should be seeing this Pop-Up Dialog Box.
    WinRARRepairButton1b.jpg
    --- Then, you should see the next few Pop-Up Dialog Boxes.
    WinRARRepairButton1c.jpg
    WinRARRepairButton1d.jpg

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

^^ CONGRATULATIONS!! You have come to end of this Review. And 'Thank You' for reading this!! Please read the small paragraph below. ^^

**-- Final Thoughts From This Reviewer: --**

“And there you have it, folks!! I believe this has been a very complete Review of WinRAR v5.20. Yes, this has been a little long, but I believe that it would not do justice to the program, if the whole program was not covered. I do hope this helps you to make an informed decision about acquiring this program, which I believe would be a very wise decision. I've been a long-time user of WinRAR, so I'm speaking from experience. Thanks for reading!!”

By the way:

This Review is (C)Brent Carey, aka BC2Tweak.

All trademarks/brand names used in this Review, are used with permission of the respective companies and therefore are subject to Copyright Law.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Attached Files:

mizdoc, Jan Nowak, jelson and 10 others like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. ahmadkhaje

ahmadkhaje Senior Member

thankeyou is very good

ursus and guardian like this.
  4. BC2Tweak

You're welcome!! :)

Now we're quite through with the Review!! ;)

guardian and ahmadkhaje like this.
  5. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Its excellent BC2Tweak. Sorry for the late response mate. Xams just got over and will be soon getting internet connected at my place again after shifting. 3-4 days more I suppose.

ahmadkhaje, ursus and guardian like this.
  6. BC2Tweak

TnaThanks
    Thanks!! :)

ahmadkhaje likes this.
  7. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

Yes our good friend BC2Tweak has outdone himself here ... this is one of the most comprehensive software reviews
    that I have had the pleasure of reading :D

WELL DONE mate WELL DONE!!!! :cool:

ahmadkhaje and ursus like this.
  8. BC2Tweak

I want to say thanks to all of the TBT Staff (especially @guardian), for his help, as I was writing the Review, and with some slight issues during the posting of the Review. Without his help, I could not have completed this opportunity. :)

I do want to say that I have read a lot of Software Reviews on the internet, and have found a lot of them to be inadequate in describing the software, excluding TBT (All of the Reviews here are awesome). I believe if you are going to Review something, do it in depth, so that other people really have an idea of what they are getting, and so you can make an informed decision. Yes, your Review will be long, but in the end it will be quite worthwhile, even if it's just your satisfaction of knowing that you have put forth your best effort. And always keep it user-friendly (try to avoid overly techie terminology, when possible), and with the mind-set: that not everyone may be as skilled with computers, as you are. :)

Have a blessed--morning, afternoon, or evening--everyone!! :)

Bala, grr and guardian like this.
  9. ursus

ursus Member

Very nice tutorial of program.
    Thank you :)

BC2Tweak and guardian like this.
  10. BC2Tweak

You bet, and you are very welcome!! ;)

I did say that it will serve as a tutorial, as well!! :)

It does help to graphically view a written action, whether or not, you are visual learner. :)

guardian likes this.
  11. bart

bart Junior Member

Thank you very much for the review!

guardian and BC2Tweak like this.
  12. BC2Tweak

You are welcome!! :)

guardian likes this.
  13. insomnic

insomnic Junior Member

Really awesome work OP!

14. AlexK

AlexK Junior Member

Very good description. Well done!

15. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

Thanks to BC2Tweak review our WinRAR giveaway is now up on WinRAR Facebook Fanpage

[​IMG]

thank you BC2Tweak and WinRAR :D

ahmadkhaje and BC2Tweak like this.
  16. BC2Tweak

You and TBT are very welcome....glad to be a part of this!! :)

Wow!! That is cool, and I am very grateful!! :)

Must go take a look....!! ;)

Oh yes, RAR Lab....many thanks to you for posting this!! We appreciate the opportunity to provide a detailed look at your great piece of software!! We truly hope that others will appreciate as much as we have. :)

guardian and ahmadkhaje like this.
  17. ahmadkhaje

ahmadkhaje Senior Member

:rolleyes:This is a great work is really admirable;)

guardian likes this.
  18. comphelp

comphelp Member

really nice Review! Thank you!

ahmadkhaje likes this.
  19. mao

mao Initiat3

ahmadkhaje likes this.
  20. antinkuntin

antinkuntin Member

21. BC2Tweak

Glad to hear that this Review is being very helpful!! :)

Very many thanks to TBT for the platform to be able to share this. :)

guardian likes this.
  22. gopp

gopp Initiat3

Thanks for the great review. Winrar is my favorite archiving program that I use all the time.

23. Raul90

Raul90 Valued TBT Member Known Member

Oh my...what a comprehensive review there. Great patient work you made there BC2Tweak! Honestly I did not now some of the functions if it weren't for your review :) Is there a way I can download it in PDF form..? I'd like to share it at the office it will be a good guide :)

24. Riddick

Riddick Member

Thank You! BC2Tweak excellent review :)

25. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Very detailed review! Thanks :)

26. BC2Tweak

You cannot download it in a PDF form from TBT, as it was posted directly to TBT. I would prefer that they read it on here. Thanks for asking, though. If I were to email it to you, then I would have to do it for others, and I do not want to do that. This Review is copyrighted, and not everyone respects copyrights, even in PDF form...a document can still be messed with.

Very sorry is this is not what you wanted to hear.

I do appreciate your kind comments about this Review!! :)

guardian likes this.