Windows Media Center to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Blog Articles' started by Bala, May 3, 2015.

?

Do you use Windows Media Center

Poll closed May 8, 2015.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Well this is just a short heads up post. Windows Media Center is now dead has been discontinued. Microsoft did announce this during the developer conference and thus it wont be shipping with Windows 10. Bad news for you if you rely on it a lot.
    I dont think even most would be using it anyways. Since the launch of Windows 7 about 7 years back there has been not even a single major update to Media Center or Windows Media player. Windows Media player has been stuck and will always remain at version 12 it seems. There is no indication what-so ever that a new iteration of WMP ie Windows Media Player will debut on the Windows 10 although the mobile version do see continued development. I dont blame Microsoft for this as in itself WMP does a good enough job and well I dont see the use in investing time to get features like that in VLC. Also installing some codec pack will enable you to play all formats on WMP as you can do with VLC. For my desktop media management I used and still use WMP alone. I have jumped a lot of players but finally stuck to WMP.
    As for as Windows Media Center I rarely use it. For those who watch cable TV on the desktop XBMC or Miro may be a replacement. But I dont think many have a TV tune card plugged into their desktop. The only option now is to use Xbox which comes with a TV Tuner card built in.
    So well just comment what you feel. I think WMP does need a good refresh.

Der.Reisende likes this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. insomnic

insomnic Junior Member

Der.Reisende likes this.
  4. mg4

mg4 Member

Thanks for the heads up - it stays off for me!

Der.Reisende likes this.
  5. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

This is an old old post that fell asleep :)

Der.Reisende, mg4 and BC2Tweak like this.
  6. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it may need to be woke up!! And here we go................:joy:!!

Really these days, there is no need for Windows Media Center!! I don't find it to be all that great, anyway. There are better media apps. Never did care for integrated stuff. :)

So to Windows Media Center...I comment this: :p and :laugh:!!

Der.Reisende likes this.
  7. mg4

mg4 Member

Well I sure didn't look at the date closely - I thought is was from 2016 :rolleyes: I've had my Media Center off for years, but didn't know MS discontinued media center ... I like to think I'm up on news - guess not!

Der.Reisende and BC2Tweak like this.
  8. BC2Tweak

I didn't either. So don't be too hard on yourself!! :)

This thread needed to be revived, anyway. So, I'm glad you started it. :)

Der.Reisende likes this.
  9. mg4

mg4 Member

Let's see if we can't get this party started! :) But, I think it may be a lost cause, don't think many folks use ms media center. .... o_O

10. BC2Tweak

Even if they don't...we like to see discussion about it!! :)

Der.Reisende likes this.
  11. mg4

mg4 Member

12. BC2Tweak

Media Player Classic is one definite alternative to Windows Media Center. I personally use VLC, but have also used MPC. These are by far not the only media players that are available. Both of these are excellent options for truly free software. Yes, you can still get some things that are really free and high quality. :)

mg4 and Der.Reisende like this.
  13. Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende Malware Tester Silver Member

Probably never used Windows Media Center (or is it the same as the Windows Media Player?). I use to use Windows Media Player for music and VLC for all movie stuff (for it can open almost every extension, but no protected BluRay - so almost no commercial movie:( Not willing to buy any software for that, use my PS4 or just stream via Amazon).

mg4 and BC2Tweak like this.
  14. BC2Tweak

Windows Media Player was part of the Windows Media Center package. :)

Here's a good WikiPedia article describing what WMC was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center. :)

And for Blu-ray stuff, we have a separate Blu-ray Player attached to our TV. At least in the US and I think some countries, Blu-ray Players have become fairly inexpensive to purchase. Would rather play Bu-ray that way, than through the computer. :)

15. Der.Reisende

Got that, thank you for clarifying :) Remember it now :)
    Regarding BluRays: You're absolutely right, me having the Playstation attached, for streaming, playing games as well as BluRays :)

16. BC2Tweak

You're welcome!! It is great to research information. I've found WikiPedia to be a really cool place to do that, as they provide pretty detailed information about whatever topic you're looking for, if they information on it. Actually, in all the times I've searched WikiPedia--I've always found what I am looking for. :) :cool:

:joy: :joy:

17. Der.Reisende

Wikipedia and the internet are one of the biggest achievements in the modern world :) Where to get information / knowledge faster?:)

18. BC2Tweak

Yep. :cool:

19. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn numbers into letters with ASCII — and we thought it was a typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a television. With the Web, we've realised it's an encyclopedia

20. BC2Tweak

Good way to put it.... :)

Der.Reisende likes this.
  21. Der.Reisende

Well said Sir!

BC2Tweak likes this.