Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Product vs Product' started by arsenaloyal, May 28, 2013.

1. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Junior Member Silver Member

OK guys lets be honest which one would you prefer and why?

please list the pros and cons as well.

2. Google Adsense

3. MrHacker

MrHacker Initiat3 Silver Member

I would prefer Windows 8.
    Just try Windows 8 in Lumia 920. You will forget everything.

4. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, currently I am moving back to Windows 7 but Windows 8 is not that bad. A few days of practice and you will be a pro with the start screen. 
    Seriously this question is for you to decide what you like. If you hate the new UI like me then stay with Windows 7. I do not like the UI of desktop in Wn8 and also has compatibility problems with legacy apps. So moving back to Windows7.

5. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

Windows 7 diehard :D

6. grr

grr Board Enthusiast Silver Member Known Member

windows8 = windows7 - start button + $$ + speed + hours of learning time/adaptability/frustration + tons of security fixes :D

7. timnik

timnik Initiat3

Win8 for me by all means! :cool:

There might be some compatibility problems with software or drivers in Win8 but I still choose it because of the better security and new features (new win explorer, task manager and so on).
    I also feel that it is faster than win7.

Didn't take much time learning at all once I got the start button back (with start8) so that I do not have to use/see the new Metro style at all.

8. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator Staff Member

What about WinXP :p
    Anyways I still like the good 'ol ubuntu and winxp

9. Bala

Yeah akira. Windows XP was great but Windows 7 as a replacement was better and mainly was an acceptable replacement. 
    The only thing I dont like in today's Ubuntu is unity. I still like KDE and Gnome 2.

10. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Junior Member Silver Member

I am also not a big fan of the non aero windows 8 desktop,but windows 8 does have its upsides as well. for one thing the boot performance is super fast, I did notice around 40-45% faster boot times with windows 8 on SSD. and about SSD windows 8 is SSD aware so it optimizes automatically for SSD's. and the metro apps are good once you get used to them as well.

11. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Member

Windows 8 for me. It lighter more secure and I find it a pleasure to use.

12. toolunit55

toolunit55 Initiat3

Windows 8 for me too, I don't know what the fuss is all about with this system, really easy to learn and navigate just a change ,maybe people too slow who knows

13. akiratoriyama

Windows 7 for me
    Have had driver corruption issues with win8
    Currently dual-booting win7 and win8 (pre-installed)

14. Bala

Now I am leaning towards Windows 8.1 and not really 8. 8.1 seems to bridge the gap well.

15. matroska

matroska Member Known Member

I think both are equally good, but I prefer windows 7
    experience using Windows 8 on my laptop is quite good, rarely crashes

16. WalterWolf

WalterWolf Board Enthusiast

Windows 7 here.
    Windows 8(8.1) is very good,same as Win 7 maybe a bit faster :)

17. corker

corker Member

I find Windows 8 is fast from booting to logon but when I restart the PC, the booting to logon goes horribly slower than what I got with Windows 7. Even my old PC with Windows XP can do better that that.

18. Bala

Boot-time is the only fast thing in Windows 8. Rest Windows 7 is a more stable and mature OS. If you are working for productivity and business you should  be taking Windows 7. For a casual home user Windows 8 will do it. I also dislike the fact that microsoft has decided to withdraw service packs.

19. exterminator20

exterminator20 Initiat3 Known Member

I have both on a dual boot but hardly ever find myself using Windows 8.Windows 7 is the OS businesses and Government agencies use and if some are still using XP they are now upgrading to Windows 7.I don't think you will ever see Windows 8 used in this setting.I see it really as an OS for the home user that has a touch screen PC or Tablet.The only reason I have Windows 8 is because the price was right $0.00,otherwise I would have taken it for a spin and got rid of it.

I agree that with some tweaks Windows 7 can address the faster boot time of Windows 8.However the faster boot is not really an issue with me and hardly a reason to switch from 7 to 8.

I hope they do a better job with Windows 9 or whatever the next OS is

20. akiratoriyama

Re: RE: Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Even I have Win7 dual boot on pre installed Win8
    Win7 is better in gaming than Win8 and that's the deal for me

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2

21. Raul90

Raul90 Valued TBT Member Known Member

I still have not tried Windows 8 well fr the very reason that my pc may not accomodate Win8 though my components are Win8 ready. Have not a license also for it. Been reading on it and I tend to see them in grr's post. If I had a new laptop maybe I'll stick with it for a while see if it grows on me....

22. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

Re: RE: Windows 7 or Windows 8?

totally agree with you.. XP was awesome but moved to Windows 7 when I was given 64 and 32 bit OS discs when I bought my kids a laptop each for Christmas and installed to take it for a spin to check what was under the hood..didn't go back to XP.... Father-in-Law has Windows 8 and when I took it for a run I was left deflated :S

S4 using Tapatalk 4 Pro

23. geki616

geki616 Member

I prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is just a sucked testing edition as Vista.

24. Bala

Its a wrong impression people have that Vista is a crap. It is as good as Windows 7. I have used Vista with SP1 and SP2 as my main OS for about 2 years even when Windows 7 was available.

25. whizkidraj

whizkidraj Member Silver Member

Yea Vista sucks very boring OS. Windows 8.1 currently the best because it comes with a lot of useful softwares pre-installed + WIndows Store Apps and has a rocking boot time (less than 7 secs with 4GB of RAM, no SSD,.. even with Antivirus installed(ESS)).
    And yes the most secure OS of Microsoft supported completely by them.

26. Plzdontell

Plzdontell Member

i have not tried windows 8 so far but windows 7 is good enough for me, no matter office or entertainment