Windows 10 upgrade can be clean installed.

Discussion in 'Blog Articles' started by Bala, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft Windows 10 is fast approaching. With builds coming in every 3 days or so, we are quickly approaching the final release. As Microsoft has already announced and we have already shared that Windows 10 will be available for download since July 29th onwards, some doubts and apprehensions do come to our mind.

This is specifically important for developers and geeks like me. I was continually apprehensive whether I will be forced to only do upgrade install with license or will I be able to do a clean install. I generally do a clean install every 6 months or so, I know Windows is messy.
    Microsofts Gabe Aul, the head of the Windows Insider program has confirmed that there will be a direct clean install path available. The upgrade license keys can be used to do a clean install on the machine. Microsoft has provided this options to the users.

This is what he said. ^^

Now this statement means, that the first time we install, we will be forced to do an upgrade install. Reinstalls after that will be available. So the first one will be an upgrade isntall it seems. Fair enough it looks, but I just wish Microsoft had a web portal where we could fill our details and get a genuine key from them. A key equivalent to that of the retail editions

Der.Reisende, insomnic and grr like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. insomnic

insomnic Junior Member

My mom sent me a mail today. She thought Windows 10 free upgrade notification is annoying spam...:D

Der.Reisende and Bala like this.
  4. ahmadkhaje

ahmadkhaje Senior Member

means, that the first time we install, we will be forced to do an upgrade install:D

Der.Reisende likes this.
  5. Bala

Haha, LOL @insomnic. Many people might think that. Whats strange is I still have not got that notification.

Exactly you got that right. We will be forced to do an unnecessary upgrade and then only allowed for clean installs it seems. Although this may change. Nothing is guaranteed to stay the same though.

Der.Reisende likes this.
  6. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

Mate, I might be wrong but you don't get the notification unless you turn on automatic updetes ;)

Der.Reisende likes this.
  7. illumination

illumination Initiat3

@Bala, do you have KB3035583 installed in your 'installed updates"... I would check this first. If so, then you are probably just waiting on microsoft, as they did not release to everyone at once, but incrementally..

Der.Reisende likes this.
  8. Bala

Its on, I just updated, and installed all the updates. Still I did not get me. Why me M$

Der.Reisende likes this.
  9. Bala

Welcome back @illumination. I do have KB3035583 installed. Strange

Der.Reisende likes this.
  10. ahmadkhaje

ahmadkhaje Senior Member

good thankeyou

Der.Reisende likes this.
  11. jerzy6012.50

jerzy6012.50 Valued Member Known Member

I am curious if Widows10 is free for only a year or longer will be fixed for free?

Der.Reisende likes this.
  12. Bala

You can avail it for free only during the 1st year. Once you reserve it you can use it for lifetime, reinstall etc etc.

Der.Reisende likes this.
  13. jerzy6012.50

I will not be in a hurry to install the new version still wait.
    the new system will be more than once revised, modernized and updated also does not have to rush.

14. illumination

illumination Initiat3

Exactly, people are finding issues already, not to mention waiting for hardware vendors and software vendors to catch up, as like was the case with the jump from windows 8 to windows 8.1
    I would give it 6 months, let it mature, then look into it.

Der.Reisende, Bala, artoor and 2 others like this.
  15. jerzy6012.50

see how it goes with the Windows 10 time will tell.

Der.Reisende and Bala like this.
  16. Bala

@jerzy612.50 and @illumination you guys are right. Even I aint gonna jump ship the moment Windows 10 arrives. For that guys please dont reserve the Windows 10 free upgrade as it will auto download by 29th July.
    Most hardware vendors and esp. Antivirus vendors will take time incorporating support for Windows 10. I think we should wait for 2-3 months before jumping ship.

Der.Reisende likes this.
  17. whizkidraj

whizkidraj Member Silver Member

First of all, hello to everyone :) While I do agree with illumination and jerzy6012.50.....I would still as u said 'rush' into installing Windows 10 as soon as it arrives. Coz I like to take chances when it comes to softwares. If you take the safe path, you never learn and know about the struggle. So I would like to install windows 10 and then just see it grow or even fail too.

Der.Reisende likes this.
  18. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

@whizkidraj it's been a long time ;) Welcome back! I got your point but I wonder if our genuine Windows 7/8 keys will still be acceptable after upgrading to Windows 10? I always have my OS backed up just in case I need to revert to previous state... will it work when I have my Windows upgraded to 10 and I decide to revert to 7 back if I don't like how Windows 10 works?

Der.Reisende likes this.
  19. whizkidraj

Yep, the upgrade would work and be allowed for some period of time for free (But as always, Terms and Conditions apply). All your answers here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Der.Reisende and artoor like this.
  20. whizkidraj

And hehe yep, thanks and hello mate :)

Der.Reisende likes this.
  21. Bala

I am just saying dont rush on production machines. If its a test desktop etc, well and good. I am not gonna do it on my laptop as it houses my important works

Der.Reisende and grr like this.
  22. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member