Windows 10 licence when hard drive fails

Discussion in 'Computers Help' started by Quantum777, May 29, 2016.

1. Quantum777

Quantum777 Member

So if my hard drive with a free Windows 10 operating system on it fails do I have to buy Windows 10 or will all be well with putting an earlier backup or backup image on the new hard drive?
    Or should I clone my disk before it's failure to a new disk?
    I have never needed to use a backup before, but now seems like a good time to understand the options and make one.

I just installed the free Windows 10 upgrade and I'm looking over my backuppers offered options, then I realised I'm not really sure how the Windows 10 licence upgrade works.
    I don't see a key, it just says windows is activated.
    If I click change product key does it show a key [or does it irrevocably cancel the current key and laugh]?
    So yeah, anybody who has got a few minutes to give me some advice it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Google Adsense

3. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Hi Quantum777 :)

The guru's still haven't seen your post but let me try to help you even for a bit :) I have done some research on the free upgrade as I am inclined to avail of it before the July deadline. Let me share what I have understood about it from the guru's I have asked up until this moment :)

-- No. That pc/system that you have availed the free upgrade of Windows 10 has been registered in the Microsoft servers already. You won't need further re-activations on that pc. Being registered on Microsoft servers means your PC has been tagged and have a "digital entitlement" which will allow you to perform a re-install or clean install on that same pc.

-- See "How to upgrade to Windows 10 and get your new licence key" below.​

-- If you recover a system image of that pc from a date prior your free upgrade to Windows 10 you will return to whatever you have Win 7/8/8.1. Best is to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Cloning to a new hardware may prove to be more intricate as the Microsoft servers may detect a change in hardware. Remember that the Microsoft servers registers all of the hardware ID on that system/PC you have availed the free upgrade. Change of a major hardware may warrant to consult MS customer support for issues with activation.

How does Windows 10 licensing status change with changes in hardware configuration HERE

How to regain free version of Windows 10 after changing computer hardware HERE

-- No it will not show a key. Once you have successfully upgraded an activated Win 7 / 8.1 installation via the upgrade offer or the Media Creation Tool the key is not shown. You will not have a product key. Instead that PC/system will registered in the Microsoft servers with a "digital entitlement" that will always be used to activate Windows 10 on that very same PC. A re-install and a clean install on that same device. You will be also be able to create your own installation USB or DVD, for use to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

If you install Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565 on a pc and it doesn't automatically activate then you can enter the product key from your Win 7/8.1 which you used to activate that particular pc/device to activate Windows 10 on it. You have to go to Settings>Update &security>Activation>Change Product key. The same goes for doing a clean install from a media say, USB or DVD. you can enter the product key from your Win 7/8.1 which you used to activate that particular pc/device to activate Windows 10 on it.

How to Change Product Key in Windows 10 HERE

Check Windows 10 activation status, activate it, or Change product key HERE

Some links you might want to check are below:

Customer Service on activation HERE

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation HERE

How to Activate Windows 10 HERE

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors HERE

How to Clear Product Key from Registry in Windows HERE

How to Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume HERE

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 HERE --Microsoft

Microsoft Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ HERE

How to upgrade to Windows 10 and get your new licence key HERE

I have always been reliant on image backups ever since I had a failed hard drive. If I want to have any distinct changes to a partition or a pc system I make an image backup first prior doing that change. If all hell breaks loose I can just recover that saved system image and all will be well. I actually make 2 images via Macrium Reflect free and ATI 2014. To date from my experience of recovering from system images (recovered because system got borked after tinkering or etc) only Acronis failed on me twice never with Macrium free. It is always a sound decision to do so do not hesitate to make one. It might save you some time and effort.

:)

jelson, Trim, revC0de and 4 others like this.
  4. Quantum777

Quantum777 Member

Thanks jasonX great information and links, appreciate you giving your time to help!

jasonX likes this.
  5. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

That information is very good to know!! :)

6. ZOR

ZOR Member

Excellent info and well presented,

frogboy likes this.
  7. hakah

hakah Junior Member

jasonX: Thanks for your precious description and illustrations on Windows 10 command prompt which is very valuable to me. By the way can you give me opinions on the upgrade of windows 10 pro to enterprise as well as the Anniversary Update as many problems and drawbacks after the update? Many thanks!

RGiskardR likes this.
  8. revC0de

revC0de MTAC Moderator Staff Member

Great work @jasonX, very useful and detailed infos for any eventualities ;)

9. jasonX

Got some help from a pal at zdnet :)

revC0de likes this.
  10. hakah

hakah Junior Member

jasonX: Can you give us a hint on it? Thanks!

11. jasonX

Oh my dear hakah, I am sorry that I have not replied to this but I still have not gotten a reply from my pal at zdnet towards your query and he is under some great stress at the moment and is taking some time off he needs. Let me get back to you oin this when I get the details and info.

revC0de and RGiskardR like this.
  12. Akshay Kumar

Akshay Kumar Guest

Good info about win 10 licensing . Thanks

jasonX likes this.