Windows 10 can now be activated with genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 keys

Discussion in 'Blog Articles' started by Bala, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Windows 10 was a free upgrade to the users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Unfortunately due to the way activation worked, a clean install was not possible and you had to upgrade using their upgrade tool. When used this way Microsoft ascertained if your copy was genuine and tied your hardware to a Windows 10 activation, very similar to the 8 to 8.1 process.

This made a lot of users angry, including me as a clean install was an issue. So now Microsoft has allowed all Windows 7 and 8.1 keys to be used as Activation keys for your Windows 10. Just go to Settings and Activation and enter your 7/8.1 key to activate your Windows 10. This allows for easy and clean installs.

From microsoft:-
    Tweakbytes tip:- Well if at any time the activation fails, just disconnect from the net and allow the phone activation screen to come up. Then just call up Microsoft and go ahead with your activation. If it still fails the IVRS will transfer your call to a support executive. Just explain your issue and they will give you the code. Microsoft activation team is quite helpful. Please call the correct regions though. Do not use Skype and call the US/UK tollfree numbers, use your own local numbers.
    For the users wondering if they should upgrade, we say there is nothing as such significant in Windows 10 you cant live without. Those who like cutting edge surely can upgrade. Before upgrading wait for a few more builds and patches to come out, about 1-2 months or so and then go for it.

2. Google Adsense

3. ahmadkhaje

ahmadkhaje Senior Member

I went back to Enable 100-year-old
    In Asia, all the windows are cracked
    Who is going to want to turn the key in my opinion better than the serial one-year activation usual thanks

4. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator Staff Member

5. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

OEM key works Akira. Actually it auto-detects. Worked on my friends Dell. If not Phone Activation is always there.

6. hakah

hakah Junior Member

After activated and converted to Windows 10, what happened if it does crashed or needed to be re-installed. How do you retrieve your license key to activate it again? Thanks for the information!

7. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

hakah my understanding is if you are replacing your hard drive or upgrading your graphics card this shouldn’t cause any issues, Windows 10 may/should automatically activate itself after you clean-install it.

However, replacing your computer’s motherboard or CPU will likely be that change that prevents the PC from automatically activating Windows 10 which will see it as a different hardware configuration, ohhhhh dear

If you run into this problem, you should just be able to clean-install Windows 10 normally. Skip both prompts when you’re asked to enter a product key. After you have installed it, it will attempt to activate itself with Microsoft and of course won’t be able to. The activation screen will prompt you to purchase a new license from the Windows Store and shit to that...!!!!

The good news is that according to Gabriel Aul, at Microsoft, you can simply then contact support from within Windows 10, explain the situation, and they will activate Windows 10 for you.

:D

grr likes this.