Will you use Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender on your computer?

Discussion in 'Product vs Product' started by Bala, Mar 1, 2013.

?

Do you use Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

We all know that Windows8 comes in built with a full blown anti-virus aka Windows Defender.
    Also Windows7 and XP users can use Microsoft Security Essentials on their pc.

Microsoft has made a solid product although they have flunked some major tests recently. Some swear by it and some cant relate microsoft with security.

Combined with the Smart-screen filter in Windows 8 it is a great and potent light weight solution.

So how many of you use Windows Defender or MSE or plan to use them?

Tell us why you use them.

Personally I am not using them at the moment. But I used it for a month or so with Comodo Firewall and it was a great and light-weight and non-obtrusive experience.

2. Google Adsense

3. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

Actually I won't use it. In my opinion it is too poor as an Antivirus software. It isn't worth even my time, as it scan PC veeeery slooooooow. It's a fact that MSE usually report real virus, there are no false positive but it doesn't make from it a useful AV. Unless it is used along with any other good scanner :)

That's my personal opinion

4. comphelp

comphelp Member

I do not use. I'm quite happy to work Avast

5. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Junior Member Silver Member

I do not use it realtime but its there as an on demand scanner. its basic protection so its better than nothing.

6. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator

I don't use any antivirus

7. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is an excellent AV YES it might not receive top honors of testing sites but it has looked after my computer for a number of years without any infections !!
    [hr]
    MBAB Pro for me :D

8. artoor

Ufff... Guardian, I was afraid that you couldn't even know that you might have an infection if you rely on MSE only :p But then I breathe a sigh of relief when I read that you have MBAM Pro along with MS product ;)

Regards!

9. guardian

yes quite right but there is much much more to avoiding infections other than relying on AV and On demand scanners :D

10. artoor

guardian, true! That's why I don't use any of realtime AV. There is HitmanPro or MBAM Free on demand from time to time. Browser and other exposed software are sandboxed. Everything is clear and virus-free :)

11. Bala

In a hands of an experienced heck not even experienced even a cautious user, MSE should do a great job. Gaurdian couple it with Comodo Firewall+Defense Plus or use Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall. Just take part in the contest and hope to win one.
    It does a great job.

12. Bala

You may say MSE has a low detection rate. But Microsoft maintains one of the most comprehensive lists of Viruses which a user is prone to get infected with. Its not only new threats but also circulating old threats.
    It is also localized for a region. So it actually gives rock solid protection on normal usage.

13. guardian

not a fan of Hitman Pro but have had MBAM Pro and Sandboxie looking after me for quite a few years, browser is sandboxed Comodo Dragon v 25 :D
    [hr]
    thanks adminBala
    I am currently using Online Armor Premium

14. Bala

Oh yes even OAP is a great firewall. You are secure enough bro. Did you make your security configuration thread?

15. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Junior Member Silver Member

you must remember one thing MSE/Windows Defender alone does not work as well as MSE/Windows defender with IE's smart screen filter. IE is the browser that blocks most of the infected downloads and websites.

16. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Will not use either of them! I prefer to use software that gives me the freedom to do what my system needs. I've never been really fond of built in software. I think Microsoft should leave that stuff alone. :)

17. Bala

Yeah MS has stopped investing into Security Essentials and well cut down their security team. They have poor management.

18. tarekma7

tarekma7 Junior Member

I donot use both