What Internet Security is the best currently?

Discussion in 'Product vs Product' started by Bala, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Well, it has been a long time at least 1-2 years since I stopped testing various antivirus products. Can you tell me which ones you are using.
    I am seriously outdated now, so can you give me whats the scenario now?

I am waiting for the replies from testers like @guardian @illumination @Overkill.

Der.Reisende and Lucent Warrior like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. ahmadkhaje

ahmadkhaje Senior Member

4. tarekma7

tarekma7 Junior Member

I have tried Kaspersky internet security, Avast, AVG, ESET, Norton

Finally I am using KIS 2016. It is the best for me

5. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 Senior Member

I tried all of them, my conclusion: Dr. Web. I explain why:
    it has very good detection rate
    excellent firewall
    non-intrusive
    simple to be configured
    smart and never caused me problems.

It is a bit heavy but no problem for me, it is a Russian product, it has to be like that. :)

6. Well, i am no longer called illumination, and this thread is old as well, but will answer this with a very direct approach.

There is no "best" internet security suite. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and different modules that handle malware in different ways. The best advise one can give when asked, which is the best, is to tell the user to try a few of them, and see which fit their uses of their system, their resources, their knowledge. They all have trials for a reason. None of them will be very effective if you lack knowledge and proper surfing habits. So i tend to advise those seeking/asking, to learn this first, then go from there.

7. Gdant

Gdant Senior Member Known Member

But we can order them by basic modules required in today's risky internet like based on signatures, behaviour blocking, phishing sites blocking, exploit blocking, etc.:)
    This can help in deciding according to user choice

8. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

I keep my arsenal private .. but I don't mind KTS 2016

Any security software is only as good as your knowledge about it

revC0de, mg4, RGiskardR and 5 others like this.
  9. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Excellent advice!! :)

10. +1 @BC2Tweak
    I liked Lucent Warrior's observations of how searching for "the best" is more of a choice that requires ones personal responsibility to effect a hands on approach in determining compatible software while also developing knowledge through good practice.

I've used, and also been very happy with the following:

• Windows Defender & Windows Firewall (used in both Windows 7 & 8.1) I've used Windows native security with little complaint during the brief holding pattern times when our computers were new, before the discovery & experience of the following, in most cases, excellent software.
    1. Avast! Premier (Firewall not activated in hopes of lightness) installed on Windows 8.1 was, in fact, extremely light and confidence inspiring with Hardened Mode set at Medium. The main complaint I've read is the free version is said to have the presence of ads. It's reliable protection & (now) added sandbox make it a worthy choice.
    2. ESET NOD 32, installed on my wife's Windows 7 SP 1, was splendidly light & acceptable for her as she prefers setting and forgetting.. and leaving any and all problem solving (computer-wise) to The Man of the house!:p
    • 2 a. ESET SMART SECURITY 8/9 a logical step up continuing with ESET, we've considered it's added firewall protections a benefit with no noticeable loss in performance of which the system's speed only increased with our move to Windows 10.
    1. Norton Internet Security protected Windows 8.1 through it's upgrade to 10 without a hitch. It's frequent updates and constant development are a plus, and it's accompanying Firewall which I understand (from members more knowledgeably Lucent than myself) is unparalleled is thwarting unsavory outbound connections before they even happen!
    2. Emsisoft Internet Security has a high reputation, and is the more recent replacement for Norton. It has proven itself worthy during highly credible "War Machine" testing,;) and at the time of this posting ranks closely in comparison to Norton & ESET with Norton's firewall placing it highest.
    These (3) paid + one free option are traditional security products I'd personally recommend for others to consider using on a trial run, this in order to determine which, among others in addition to those mentioned might fit in becoming the "best" for you.:)

Below I borrow an excerpt from the closeing of @reCOde's
    Malware Analysis Introduction Thread

"..the high spread of malware is not only to be attributed to the Antivirus vendors that are not able to stop this process, but it is mainly due to the user that using the PC, which in most cases, he did not care of the correct functioning of the basic safety rules that a PC should have.
    If each PC connected to the Internet have at least a Firewall, Antivirus, other security tools and all software always updated by the security patch, then there would be so many less infected PC and the amount of malware in circulation would be
    certainly less from the current one."

revC0de, frogboy, Gdant and 7 others like this.
  11. BC2Tweak

I don't usually like to use a Security Suite product, however, due to a very special gift, I am currently using one, but not with all its components enabled, because I have separate apps for those functions. This has come about through many years of testing/trying what works and what doesn't, so as -Lucent Warrior- so kindly put it, find out what works for you and what doesn't. This will not necessarily be a quick thing, so a great deal of patience will be required. For myself and my computer system, I have found that separate security products work better, because for one, I can have more control over them, than an integrated product. So again, what works for one fine, does not mean that it works for someone else the same way. That is why I don't necessarily recommend a lot of security products, unless I have personally time-tested them, and then I try to be careful. Also, that is why you will not see me make any kind of recommendations about someone's computer system, based upon say like a posted "Security/System Configuration", et cetera. I would prefer to one-on-one interaction with a person, and offer what I know based on their asking, rather than a blanket recommendation. I also think this really helps in my Reviews/Tests, as I honestly try to be very objective in what I write, even though I may like or am using a particular product. Now, there are certain products that I simply refuse to use, again based on my very personal experience with them. I won't name any names, but if you know me, you already know. :)

And that is a detailed description of why and how I respond the way I do, and maybe why it kind of irritates me when others seem to not care what I personally have experienced with these software products. It's kind of like going to see a doctor, and describing what you are experiencing, and then the doctor poo-poo's it away, acting if he/she knows best. When you know your body better than they do. Or, even a mechanic and your vehicle. We must always be very careful that we do not take up this..."I know best attitude, and you know diddly-squat!!" That is simply put: arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, and frankly it's down-right bullyish-mean!! Those kind of folks, don't do any of us any good, and should be avoided at all costs. Opinions are great to have, but your and mine, aren't the only one that count. And, we aren't always going to be right!! 'Tis best to confess that if you don't know the answer, then say you don't, but I can find/get an answer, and if you don't find/get an answer, then at least you've tried your very best. :)

Okay....sorry, as I didn't mean to sort of rant, but wanted to share why and how I do things, especially concerning software, and why I do what I do, here on TbT. It's not at all work for me, but rather a great joy and really a lot of fun. None of what I've said is, at all, directed at anyone here. I've had the unfortunate pleasure, here of recent, to run into to some of these folks, and have had to deal with my attitude about them. I'm sure you probably have to. :)

Have an awesome day!! :D

And know that I am truly here to help you, and will do my best to do so. I believe the other Staff Members feel the same way, too!! :)

revC0de, Gdant, silversurfer and 5 others like this.
  12. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Very nice interaction here for an old thread :)

I've used a lot of security suites in the past and like the gurus have stated they have their own strengths and weakness. Over the years those I used and have encountered issues with like Eset Smart Security 7 and 8 Beta and Stable 8 and Emsisoft IS have very much improved and they are much to my liking now. But all said and done it is the user who will determine what gels with him and his behavior towards the internet and his computing behavior in general.

We are all are experienced enough to check out and see what is best in a security suite or any security application for that matter. The thing that we all do is try it out/check-it-out. See what matches our preference.

But then again there is the newbie or the no so acquainted in security and just relies on his/her installed security application to protect him/her in everything they do regardless of dangerous behavior / being complacent and outright arrogance in his/her belief that his/her security will protect him/her. An install and forget attitude. I have read some dozens of posts in other forums who are angry about their security suite not protecting them (most of them curses the security application and vows not to use it anymore ) but when you start helping them out you find out the reason is that the user does not really understand the suite at all. Most of them rant that they are using Pro version but does not know how to set up his security app. In any application user input is a must.

And then comes the user behavior towards threats. If one has a top notch security suite but disregards the warning or pop-up on a certain site or say, an executable file being blocked. He disregards that and allow or go overboard turning off the suite because he needs that executable file (games downloaded or pirate software) then GAME OVER. User input > allow > why? I need this game ;) I love this game :) BOOM your infected. GAME OVER.

So as also have been stated, try out a suite and check it out versus your preference. See what gels with you. If there are issues and you still like it then help is always a post away. No security suite can do it all. In the end ti will be the user who will decide.

Just my two cents :)

revC0de, Gdant, Der.Reisende and 7 others like this.
  13. guardian

no matter what security suite installed
    and what settings chosen at install there are NO AV vendors products than can protect the user against themselves ..

like say if the user is click happy .. then as jasonX puts it 'BOOM' you might then be reading our VRS forum :S

user modifying his/her bad habits is a good start

revC0de, Gdant, jasonX and 6 others like this.
  14. BC2Tweak

Good advice, my friend!! :) :D

15. jerzy6012.50

jerzy6012.50 Valued Member Known Member

100% support say Jason none software security system will not be as good as the user will not be able to configure it, and besides, it all depends on the equipment which the user computer has and in addition you can not ignore the warnings of the program's protective against viruses, in short, everything depends on the Internet user and the behavior of and response to warnings.

16. guardian

we have been kindly offered several licenses for Kaspersky's newly released KTS 2017 ..

awesome!!

17. tarekma7

tarekma7 Junior Member

I am currently running KIS 2016 and I want to ask (before upgrading) if anyone tried the new KIS 2017 ?

Der.Reisende and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  18. It's like Christmas in Summer, hooray!!:D
    Wait. As I understand it, Down Under in the Southern hemisphere really does have December summers.:)
    @tarekma7, although I've yet to run KIS, I'm only running defender on 8.1 in a VM that's only using Defender. I'd like to trial the newest version, and after taking it for a spin, get back to you with my impressions!;)

19. Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende Malware Tester Silver Member

Well said!

You're so much right about that :)

To my experience, both KIS (last version I tried was 2015, had some compatibility issues in the very early days of Win10) and EIS serve well (currently in use, very user friendly and good stock setting protection to my short experience). I did not like BD IS (2015), as it really was a resource hog back these days, however, the UI was great. EIS is very lightweight to my experience, and they update signatures every hour without needing the user to do anything (I think you can lower the time it will search for new updates). Also, their cloud rep service is great!
    Never tried Avast! IS or greater nor any other suite other than mentioned above.

@guardian that will be a great giveaway (however I will not participate as I'm very happy with EIS, out of a giveaway, too) :)

20. hakah

hakah Junior Member

I have been using KIS for years and assuming it is the best for me. I haven't try EIS before and hope you can provide more details on this software for better understanding of its functions and security. Many thanks!
    Sincerely hope that KIS 2016 can be taken as future giveaway by the Forum!!!

21. Der.Reisende

EIS is very lightweight, scans are fast, the GUI is very easy to understand offers quite good protection out of the box. And I love the firewall it has. Bitdefender signatures for the engine used are updated hourly (otherwise you change that), also, Emsisoft has a good own engine for PUP/PUA, too.
    Someone else told me this talking about how EIS works & how I like it, I will just quote it (he said it's the words of Fabian Wosar, one of the cracks @ Emsisoft), it's exactly what I've noticed in the short time owning EIS:
    "when you run a file, it scans it with signatures. If all is ok, BB checks if different dangerous/suspicious actions are performed.
    If yes, it checks cloud and according to the cloud results, processes the file.
    If nothing is found on the cloud, it ask the user...problem is if not enough "bad" actions are performed, then BB does not protect...."

Unfortunately, the MTAC threads here are gone, otherwise, you might have been able to see it in action.

KIS is for sure comparable to EIS in terms of protection, however, when I used it back in the days Windows 10 was freshly released, it had some compatibility issues. Before I switched to EIS, I used Qihoo 360 Total Security.

EIS runs without any issues alongside HMP.A and ZAM Premium / HMP, also, full compatible to latest W10.

Give it a try, you'll love it :)

revC0de, jasonX, silversurfer and 4 others like this.
  22. @Der.Reisende, I enjoyed reading Fabian Wosar's & your own illustrative observations of Emsisoft I.S.'s protections. I've recently begun using E.I.S. on my own system too, and feel particularly happy as the second to last sentence..
    ...also happens to list :rolleyes:precisely the software I have also included on my configuration!:D

23. Der.Reisende

Great :) Thank you for letting me know :)

Cats-4_Owners-2 and RGiskardR like this.
  24. mg4

mg4 Member

I've tried a lot of different products as well, but until I found HitmanPro.Alert, they all bogged down my system, to the point I'd turn them off out of frustration, effectively rendering my time and money down the drain! My "internet security" now, and recently, is to harden & secure my systems as best I can (and learn); safe use & practice & back-up. HitmanPro.Alert has just worked great for me. Process Lasso as well.

25. BC2Tweak

Good to hear that!! ;)

I've found out that the trial-and-error process does work well, for figuring out what best works for your PC!! :)

Der.Reisende and jasonX like this.
  26. hakah

hakah Junior Member

Der.Reisende : Thanks for the detailed information. I will try it sometime after the expiry of current security software. Many thanks!

Der.Reisende likes this.