Test: Dr. Web Security Space 2016

Discussion in 'Video Reviews and Tests' started by Trim, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Trim

Trim MTAC Moderator Staff Member

video by: Vincent Game Test

2. Google Adsense

3. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 Senior Member

As far as I can see no exe was executed, only entered in the browser and few samples were downloaded but not run. Please correct me if I`m wrong. So, it was tested only the web protection of this security suite. This is not concludent for a security suite, IMO.

Der.Reisende, revC0de and Trim like this.
  4. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

I can ask my good friend at Dr. Web for a software giveaway campaign and maybe our awesome MTAC or Review team
    can run our own tests??

Der.Reisende, revC0de, Trim and 2 others like this.
  5. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 Senior Member

I would rather trust our malware testers team as they are very professional and skilled. :read: Thanks guardian for your suggestion.

Der.Reisende, revC0de, Trim and 2 others like this.
  6. Trim

@dinosaur07

In practice in this video review the tester has tested Dr. Web mostly for real-time downloaded files (with direct links to .exe malware to download them), so the test is mostly to demonstrate the real-time malicious URLs blocking and not real-time protection on executing malware.

@guardian I can ask to all our MTAC Team if someone can use Dr. Web in our tests posts in MTAC section. This would be really interesting to see how Dr. Web blocks malicious URLs and malware. Thanks for the great suggestion @guardian :D

7. Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende Malware Tester Silver Member

Did anyone test this software yet? I can find almost nothing on the net, which is very strange? Only some lab tests, which tell me that signatures aren't the best, however the mechanical part seems to be a very good one (though missed some ransomware lately - but which soft doesn't?).
    https://avlab.pl/sites/default/files/68files/ENG_2016_ransomware.pdf

EDIT: Have to admit I'm not a big fan of Vincent Game tests, I can not read much out of them.

silversurfer, Trim and RGiskardR like this.
  8. Trim

From the tests of avlab.pl we can see the protection tests against ransomware samples, and we have to remember that ransomware are one of the most important threats to detect and block nowadays. So, if Dr. Web is good for detection (more heuristic than signature-based) against ransomware, is not really bad, although it missed ransomware lately during the tests.

9. Der.Reisende

I installed it this morning, works pretty good, however a Cerber v5 sample wasted my system (somehow this sample gets autoquarantined in Paranoid mode on extraction).
    We'll see next month, I plan to ditch Comodo IS for Dr. Web (at least for testing).

jasonX, Trim, RGiskardR and 1 other person like this.
  10. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps a through review posted on the topic? I am in contact with Dr.Web (awaiting response) this will boost our chances of sponsorship! So if you can please post your review observations!

Trim, Der.Reisende and RGiskardR like this.
  11. Der.Reisende

Sure, I might do that around Christmas if that's ok, I'll then have both seen what the product is able to do and have some more statistics on how it behaves on fresh malware samples, both in stock settings and "paranoid" preset.

Trim and RGiskardR like this.
  12. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

my good friend at Dr.Web has gone onto further study at University (she loves studying and reading :read:) and has provided me with
    contact details of one of her co-workers whom I am trying to contact :mail: to run a Software Review followed by a giveaway
    stay tuned folks :glad:

13. Petrovic

Petrovic Forum Addict Silver Member

14. Der.Reisende

Trim, jasonX and RGiskardR like this.