Screen Capture Programs - Scrolling Capture Capabilities

Discussion in ''Personal' Software Reviews' started by BC2Tweak, Jun 24, 2016.

1. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Hello Ladies and Germs....uh, Gentlemen (lol),

Well after some very nice conversation concerning another Screen Capture Program, about its Scrolling Capture Capabilities, or the apparent lack of....I decided to test a few Screen Capture Programs that I personally have. I have seven different ones. Not all of them met the criteria for Scrolling Capture. So, let's get into our Test Results. :)

The criteria I set was quite simple. It was:
    (1) Does it have Scrolling Capture Capabilities?
    (2) If it does, how easy is it to do it?
    (3) How much of the Scrolling Area does it capture?

Now, I don't always have a need for this, but would definitely like to know that when I do, will the program come through for me. Some of you may have a greater need for this Capability more often than I do, so I'm looking at this, for your benefit and on your behalf. I am quite sure that you would also like to know, will the program come through for me, too. All the programs were tested in two different spots. First, in a Windows Explorer Folder; and secondly, in the Firefox Browser. So, let's see who met all of the criteria above, and who didn't. That way you can make an informed decision. We'll answer each Criteria Question separately.

First Program Tested: Ashampoo Snap 8.
    Where Tested: In a Windows Explorer Folder; and in Firefox.
    Criteria Question 1 Answered: It is supposed to, but it is pretty much non-functioning, so a resounding: NO!!
    Criteria Question 2 Answered: Non-Applicable. See Criteria Question 1.
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: Non-Applicable. See Criteria Question 1.
    Does It Meet Our Criteria: NO!!

Second Program Tested: FastStone Capture (Portable Version).
    Criteria Question 1 Answered: It is supposed to, but it is pretty much non-functioning, so a resounding: NO!!
    Criteria Question 2 Answered: Non-Applicable. See Criteria Question Answer 1.
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: Non-Applicable. See Criteria Question Answer 1.

Third Program Tested: FastStone Capture v8.4 (Licensed Version).
    Criteria Question 1 Answered: YES!
    Criteria Question 2 Answered: Very easy, and it does it automatically once set.
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: The whole area you want to capture. You can press the "ESC" Button to quit the Scrolling Capture, otherwise it will run until the end of the Scrolling Area.
    Does It Meet Our Criteria: YES; HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR SCROLLING CAPTURE!!

Fourth Program Tested: ShareX v11.0.1 (Freeware).
    Criteria Question 1 Answered: YES!!
    Criteria Question 2 Answered: Not as easy as FastStone Capture or Snagit, but not overly complicated. You have to adjust some settings before you start the Scrolling Capture.
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: A set amount.
    Does It Meet Our Criteria: YES; BUT NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SCROLLING CAPTURE!!

Fifth Program Tested: Screenshot Captor v4.16.1 .
    Criteria Question 2 Answered: Very difficult to do. Too many settings to have to go through, and your end result is really cruddy looking.
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: All of it, but with very cruddy end results. See Criteria Question Answer 2.

Sixth Program Tested: Snagit v12.4.1 (Licensed Version).
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: All of it.

Seventh Program Tested: Apowersoft Screen Capture Pro v1.2.3 (Licensed Version).
    Criteria Question 3 Answered: All of it.

SPECIAL NOTE: Four of the above seven program were tested in their Licensed State, so we cannot attest to what the results would be in their Shareware/Trial Modes. The other three programs are Freeware.

So, the results being that we HIGHLY RECOMMEND three of the seven programs listed above, for performing a Scrolling Capture. That is what we have tested. All of the seven program listed above are still exceptional programs, is is just that this particular feature (Scrolling Capture) does not perform well or at all, in some of them. The Scrolling Capture is the only function that we tested for this Test Review.

And there you have it. Our results for Scrolling Capture. Our hope is that this will help you make an informed decision about what to use should you have the need for this function, now or at a future time.

Thanks for listening!! :)

(Copyright (C) Brent Carey (aka BC2Tweak).

2. Google Adsense

3. Gdant

Gdant Senior Member Known Member

Good thinking.. Nice informative post BC2Tweak.. :)
    Does all the software who did scrolling capture are equally capable??
    I know most do, but can you rate their scrolling capture mode to give more idea about which is better?

BC2Tweak likes this.
  4. BC2Tweak

Snagit was a little different, but still very easy. I believe that Snagit will automatically do the Scrolling Capture, I just didn't hit the right setting. :)

FastStone Capture and Apowersoft Screen Capture Pro did the scrolling automatically once you told the programs to Capture. :)

Not to be vague, but in my professional opinion, all three of the above programs are equally capable, and you will be most pleased with any of them.
    On one other note, Snagit may use a little more system memory than FastStone Capture or Apowersoft Screen Capture Pro....however, this is just a minor thing. I personally prefer Snagit, mostly because I am very used to it, but the others are great as well. I would definitely look at each one of them and their features, and then decide which one meets your needs the best. :)

I trust this helps!! :)

Gdant likes this.
  5. Gdant

Gdant Senior Member Known Member

Cool, thanks BC2Tweak..
    I hope there would be more threads like this in future.

BC2Tweak likes this.
  6. BC2Tweak

You're welcome!! :)

Well, if we can help it, there will be, and hopefully others will follow suit. :)

Gdant likes this.
  7. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

HOLY COWW!!!!!!! GREAT REVIEW!!! GOOD WORK BC2Tweak :) I LIKE IT!!!!

I also tried the FSCapture Portable and was shocked that the scrolling mouse did not work RATS!!! :) Oh well I have the Pro version with me :)

Gdant and BC2Tweak like this.
  8. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 Senior Member

Very good and informative testing. Interesting outcome! :)

Gdant and BC2Tweak like this.
  9. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

AWESOME review BC2Tweak.. your in-depth reviews are so well thought out, very informative and easy to follow

you the man.. ooooopss sorry .. you the germ :p

jasonX, BC2Tweak and Gdant like this.
  10. BC2Tweak

He he he......couldn't resist that one!! :)

11. jerzy6012.50

jerzy6012.50 Valued Member Known Member

very instructive test good job can be a lot to learn.
    brilliantly.:)

jasonX likes this.
  12. tarekma7

tarekma7 Junior Member

Very good informative review. Thanks a lot

13. jasonX

Got a reply from the Ashampoo devs via our sponsor about the scrolling mouse issue we discovered here. let me quote it from the email.

-- So it may or may not function is what they say depending on...hmmm..not as direct as I was hoping there. Maybe we can test it more on several sites.

14. BC2Tweak

Eh.....not the kind of answer I was hoping they'd give. Extremely disappointing to me, as it should work irregardless of if you on the internet or not. ):

jasonX likes this.
  15. jasonX

Hmm maybe a support ticket should be opened so we can go further on this :)

BC2Tweak likes this.
  16. BC2Tweak

I did insert my FS v8.4 License into the Portable Version. Maybe the Scrolling Capture will work then, I haven't tested it yet, but I will very shortly an let you know if it works. :)

17. tarekma7

tarekma7 Junior Member

Can you please add Sceenpresso to this review?

18. BC2Tweak

Screenpresso was not in the list to test. There are too many of those types of programs to possibly test every one of them. So, what has been done, has been done. The Test Review is finished, and there will be no additions to it. :)

Thanks for the request, however!! :)

19. Nice review. I have tried many screenshot utilities and always come back to Faststone capture for not only the cheap lifetime license, but its many options. The portable version did not sit well with me as well, but installed, it simply is hard to beat. I use it more then most of my applications.

jasonX likes this.
  20. BC2Tweak

Thanks!! :)

FastStone Capture is a great program!! :)

I am personally kind of stuck on Snagit, but it's not the only great capture program available. :)

jasonX and Lucent Warrior like this.
  21. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

Well done @BC2Tweak :)

I kind of understand @tarekma7 as far as Screenpresso is concerned...
    I've been using it for some time now and I can point out one of the advantages that other screencapture programs do not have - namely Screenpresso (if my memory serves me right it implies only to Pro version) can directly send taken screenshot (either edited or not) into imgur, dropbox or other cloude services which is very convenient when you do a review :)

Of course I can't present Screenpresso because I'm not very good reviewer ;)

Anyway, well done!

22. BC2Tweak

I have Screenpresso as well. It was not considered as part of the above Review as I was just considering a few of the programs that people were concerned about a particular capability or lack of, in those programs. It would be very hard to consider every possible screen capture program. :)

And Snagit will also send a screen capture to various online services as well. You just have to use a preset when going to do a capture. Within Screenpresso, you have to go to "Publish" after the screen capture. Am using v1.6.4.0, which is the latest version. I'll check the other programs and see if they have options to Publish online after a capture. Thanks for bringing this up!! :)

guardian likes this.
  23. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

I have a Screenpresso Pro license and it lasted on my installed list for about 2 days... then binned
    but to be fair that was 3 years ago.. maybe I should drag it out of archives and update to check under the hood again

there seems to have been a few new added and feature updates over this time

jasonX and BC2Tweak like this.
  24. BC2Tweak

It's quite a nice program. A lot of features to it, yet with a small size, as compared to some other capture programs. :)

jasonX likes this.