ProtonMail - Encrypted Email

Discussion in 'Tech news' started by WalterWolf, May 2, 2014.

1. WalterWolf

WalterWolf Board Enthusiast

https://protonmail.ch/

Hosted in Switzerland

More flexible than Mail1Click - you can send/receive email easily with non-ProtonMail users.

Optionally password encrypt email to non-ProtonMail users

Email expirations

Two passwords: one to authenticate with the service and another to
    decrypt mailbox client-side. The mailbox password is not shared with
    ProtonMail. Therefore, zero knowledge.

I applied yesterday today mail came for account.

2. Google Adsense

3. guardian

guardian Administrator Staff Member

thanx for heads up :-) will take a look C

Sent from S4 using Tapatalk 4 Pro

4. guardian

Few minor minor bugs in the account setup process but not annoying and at the end you are well protected
    with this encrypted email client... just don't lose your passwords or you have to simply delete your account as
    they cannot retrieve them.. Once the setup process has completed [about 5 minutes] you are presented with a clean crisp UI...nice :D

You can use this with ur friends using Gmail or Hotmail however, the messages they send to you will not be encrypted.
    You can send messages to outside users as well. For outgoing messages to non-ProtonMail users, you can choose to send them
    unencrypted or encrypted. Unencrypted messages are sent just like any other email.

You can send a friend an email using Gmail and make it an encrypted message by selecting Encrypt for Outside Users.
    You will be prompted to set a message password to encrypt the message - this is the password you give to your friend.
    When your friend receives your encrypted message, they simply click on a link in the email, enter the password that you've provided,
    and the message is instantly decrypted for them!

But as with Hushmail messages that are exchanged between ProtonMail users are automatically encrypted without requiring
    passwords for individual messages.

ProtonMail is completely free to use and the developers hope to be able to keep it this way. In the future I believe
    that they will introduce paid accounts with more space and features to help pay the bills. :D

5. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Even I am signing up for this. Just checking if they provide custom domain email service.

6. WalterWolf

There is no new folder function :( .

Asked dev of ProtonMail on Wilders about free and paid plan.

7. guardian

you can always suggest new folders option here

ProtonMail Features...... [email protected]

8. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

K'mon... I signed up 2-3 days ago and haven't received any confirmation link as of yet... how long have you been waiting for it guys?

9. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator Staff Member

Re: RE: ProtonMail - Encrypted Email

2 days ....

10. WalterWolf

About one day.

11. guardian

one day is all I waited..same for illumination :-) email support they are prompt to reply

Sent from S4 using Tapatalk 4 Pro

12. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

I just wanted to point out that lots have changed about Protonmail since the topic has been posted. No worry - Protonmail is still as safe as it was - zero-knownledge! They've made some improvements to the web-version but what is worth to mention is that ProtonMail mobile apps are now available as well :D
    Check it out!

jasonX likes this.
  13. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

I have an account with Protonmail but have not often used it. Will check it out again :) Thanks there!

14. jasonX

Just logged-in with Protonmail earlier and it's smooth as silk now :) I saw also their explanation on the DDos there in my inbox! Thanks artoor!

15. jasonX

Just logged-in with Protonmail earlier and it's smooth as silk now :) I saw also their explanation on the DDos there in my inbox! Thanks artoor!

16. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Went and signed up earlier yesterday!! :)

Was impressed with their service, and the price to upgrade is not bad!! :)

Thank you all for posting information about ProtonMail!! :)

jasonX likes this.
  17. jasonX

Maybe a review of such email services is warranted here :) Care to make one mate BC2Tweak?

guardian and BC2Tweak like this.
  18. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

I would need permission from them to screenshot the website, because that would be rather necessary for the review, as I do not want to break any laws, in doing so. :)

guardian and artoor like this.