How To Try Ubuntu’s Upcoming Desktop Right Now

Discussion in 'Linux' started by KaptainBug, Jul 19, 2014.

1. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Member

The Unity desktop you know and (maybe) love has its days numbered. Canonical is at work on Unity 8, which looks more to revolutionize the desktop shell rather than just evolve it. While it’s still quite a while away from being the default desktop on your next Ubuntu installation, curious folks can try it out right now if they’d like. Here’s how and what to expect so far with the new desktop.

Why Is Unity Changing?

While I don’t think Canonical has anything against the current Unity desktop, it has much bigger plans in store. The company has been working hard to try to achieve its goal of total convergence — meaning that it wants to have the same interface and apps across all devices, including your computer, smartphone, and tablet.
    Microsoft has already tried this somewhat with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, and Apple is taking baby steps as well with the incremental changes in Mac OS X that make it more similar to iOS. Canonical wants to be the first company to provide good
    convergence with Linux, and is betting big that people will like it and start using all of the Ubuntu operating systems they’ll have to offer.

Read More..

2. Google Adsense

3. illumination

illumination Guest

Can honestly say this sucks, and is poor choice on Ubuntu's part. It will turn many away like windows 8 did for windows users.
    I tried this for the hell of it on a desktop, what a mess...

4. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Same here. Even I do not like Unity nor the new UI. Just tried the alpha builds and it is a mess. Ubuntu too is taking some hasty decisions about changing like to Mir etc. It would really throw of users and developers. Issue is Ubuntu does not seem to listen. And I really like the four years LTS supports. I really am looking for a stable alternative to Ubuntu. OpenSuse and Netrunner seem like top candidates to me.
    Better use KDE/XFCE, GNOME-3 also is somewhat funky.

5. illumination

illumination Guest

I have literally ran just about every distro i could on my two test machines. So far, All the Arch based, and Fedora "red hat" distro's are among my favorites. OpenSUSE is really good as well.. I am a fan of XFCE now, KDE and Gnome are eye candy that drain resources. Gnome is especially hard on laptop batteries.

Manjaro/arch is nice and stable, i tend to upgrade the kernel right away with it, but other then, it is smooth.

6. Prime

Prime Member

I prefer KDE and I really like the Netrunner.
    This distribution works „out-of-the box” and kde is very nice.
    Manjaro can also be, while ubuntu with unity at all I do not fit.

7. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Prime I hope you are a new convert to linux and your choice is great. KDE is very good and easy to use and sticks to the conventional desktop paradigm. And netrunner is a solid choice for a disro mate. But when you have time try xubuntu or a XFCE based distro on a live environment, and you will see XFCE is far lighter. I am too a new convert to XFCE. Illumination glad you realized the power of XFCE. Especially battery consumption wise it is lighter and gets the job done without much eyecandy and load. But I dont like Thunar because it depends mostly on catfish for searching and this I installed Nautilis. I heard many reports nautilus breaks XFCE but I found no such issues though. Strange!. Can you try it as well and tell me illumination?
    Cheers, linux is really amazing.

8. illumination

illumination Guest

I parked the testing systems for a bit, was spending a lot of time doing so.. I can tell you, it is never recommended to replace anything tied into the OS on linux, as it may "break it" ..

May being the key word.. If it is working for you with no ill side effects, i would use it.. I personally do not care much for thunar either, but use it just the same. A little while down the road, when things calm down here, i may break out the testers again, and give it a go.. But for now, im running my production machine, which i do not want to chance breaking, and having to redo, as i have a lot of stuff on it..