How long is disabling Telemetry in Windows 7 viable?

Discussion in 'Computers Help' started by jelson, Dec 1, 2016.

1. jelson

jelson Junior Member

For the time being, it's still possible to disable M$ "spyware-like" telemetry on Windows 7 machines. It used to very simple: don't install the "telemetry updates": KB2952664, KB3021917, KB3068708, and KB3080149

It's also a good idea either to disable the telemetry-related tasks in Task Scheduler:
    • Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser
    • Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater
    • Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent
    • Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator
    • Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask
    • Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip
    But the new delivery system for Windows Updates has changed things. Now, each month we're getting "Security Monthly Security Quality Rollup" instead of individual patches which includes both security and non-security patches. And even worse, M$ has announced that their Monthly SQ rollups will become cumulative sometime in the future.

This month, the November Monthly SQR (KB3197868) does contain a new patch that adds to the Unified Telemetry Client and runs the new Diagnostic Tracking Service

Now, if you're like me and have painstakingly avoided installing Telemetry updates... you're only recourse if you want to install the new security updates is to turn off "Automatic" updates and install the monthly "Security Only Quality Update"

The bad news is that the "Security Only" updates are not available via Windows Update. You have to manually download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog and then manually install it.

Personally, I have no idea how long I'll be able my attempts to thwart M$ telemetry will be viable... :O:

And of course, it doesn't stop there. Company after company is looking to make money via "telemetry." Big bucks involved... so privacy and all that be damned. In fact, nVidia just added telemetry to their 375.70 driver!

There are a couple of resources I use where I've learned a great deal:

Be advised that Woody's blog is geared toward the average computer-literate user while the posts on MDL are geared to much more advanced users... who have no qualms tweaking registry settings and running complex scripts to customize their machines.

grr, BC2Tweak, dinosaur07 and 2 others like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. jelson

jelson Junior Member

grr, BC2Tweak and RGiskardR like this.
  4. Petrovic

Petrovic Forum Addict Silver Member

5. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the great info, I'll update the thread title seems a slight typo there.

Switching to Linux is very viable in most of the cases. Linux mint works really well and Office 2010 works excellently. Macros too work fine.

Trim, grr, jelson and 2 others like this.
  6. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

7. jelson

jelson Junior Member

Thank you... without an edit button, I can't fix my own typos. :S

8. jelson

jelson Junior Member

@Petrovic

Thanks... intriguing program: looks like Blackbird does the heavy-lifting for you (so you don't have to run complex scripts yourself.)

grr likes this.
  9. BC2Tweak

If you ever need something edited, please let one of us know...and we'll be glad to fix it for you. You will have the ability to edit, when you reach a certain membership level. Bala and guardian are not always available, but one of the other Mods usually are, and I am on quite frequently. :)

jelson, RGiskardR and grr like this.
  10. jelson

jelson Junior Member

@ BC2Tweak

Thanks man... will do... guess it would a good idea to post some more too. ;)

11. BC2Tweak

You bet!! :)

12. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I was like that not so long ago...that sucks.

Trim and RGiskardR like this.
  13. RGiskardR

RGiskardR Malware Tester Silver Member

I just tried (this morning) BlackBird tool, and I had to restore my W10 to previous restore point, because it seems it changed/disabled (so strict!) some services and after reboot I couldn't share or access from/to any other of my systems via NetWork shares resources...

Trim likes this.