Getting Started with Linux Using Mint - Part 1 (mrizos)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Twitchy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Twitchy

Twitchy Member

[youtube]oPaOZozJ0H8[/youtube]
    Tired of Windows and all it's vulnerabilities to malware? Give Linux a try! It's easy to install and use. In this video I'll show you how to download, install and start your initial Linux journey using Linux:

2. Google Adsense

3. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Board Enthusiast

best linux distro ever!:D

4. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator Staff Member

Debian and Ubuntu are better on android kernel and ROM compiling side

5. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

It is true, and I Would stick to using an LTS version of either Mint or Ubuntu. It will become a lot of headache to update every 9 months. Instead doing it ever 2 years is fun.

6. illumination

illumination Guest

Although it was disagreed with in this thread, i second that notion, after trying many different distros, and finding incompatibility issues/bugs, i have settled down with Mint, as it is by far more stable then any of the others i tried, and keeps getting better.. Mint 17 is looking great, it will be replacing my windows 8.1 here in a few days on my main machine.

7. Bala

Illumination do you use the KDE/MATE/Cinnamom which version?

8. illumination

illumination Guest

Right now i have Cinnamon on my spare machine. Version 17 should be released here in a few days, and then i will be placing it on my main machine which has UEFI "secureboot".

9. illumination

illumination Guest

Running Mint 17 RC right now, and been playing with it for an hour or so, all seems quite stable.. No troubles with drivers or installation.

10. akiratoriyama

Re: RE: Getting Started with Linux Using Mint - Part 1 (mrizos)

NO DRIVER TROUBLE !!?
    I've had many troubles with Ubuntu 13.04 and am considering to move to Linux Mint.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

11. Bala

Its because you have a broadcom wifi chip and maybe ATI's graphic card. You need to buy a laptop carefully for a linux supported one.

12. akiratoriyama

Re: RE: Getting Started with Linux Using Mint - Part 1 (mrizos)

I don't have ATI card fyi.
    Broadcomm works fine on other Linux distros.

13. illumination

illumination Guest

Yep, what he said ^^^ Broadcom wifi, i have not had any luck with, i have a Lenovo here that has mint as well, and the wifi card in it is useless.. There are no compatible drivers to get it working, i have tried many times.. With it, i just broke down and went out and got a USB wifi adapter..

My Sony VIao on the other hand, is only a year old, has intel i5 3230 m with 3rd generation intel graphics, and a Athereo wifi adapter in my system, so all went in smoothly, even my bluetooth went in without a fuss..

14. Bala

Broadcom works best in Ubuntu and its derivatives. Which distro did it work on for you?
    My suggestion is then use that distro and not Mint.

15. Bala

Ok I have had it with mint KDE at least. This time the live session had crashes and also Libre office failed to start.
    I also noticed this with Cinammom/KDE edition that it could not mount my HDD partition. Asked to shut down windows properly and no fast reboot. I did terminate Windows session correctly.
    Kubuntu/Xubuntu has no such issues. So this time I may go with Xubuntu.
    Illumination you can download the latest mint-17 ISO for Cinammom as it has been approved as stable release. Its just time before it gets updated on their site as well. So you need not wait.
    community.linuxmint.com/iso

Take a look there.

16. illumination

illumination Guest

yeah, i was just over there this morning, but am waiting for it to hit the main page .... Have you tried cinnamon, it has a little less features, but quite polished and stable..
    Edit: my curiousity has the best of me, so downloading mirror as i type this.. Will be running stable release shortly..

17. illumination

illumination Guest

Installed stable mint 17 , so far no issues.. BTW this is being installed on a machine with UEFI and secureboot enabled..

18. illumination

illumination Guest

Screen shot of system info..

[​IMG]

19. illumination

illumination Guest

The KDE Plasma Desktop installed onto Linux Mint is pretty awesome.. Been playing :D

20. Bala

You installed KDE over Cinamom? Dont you find odd issues with Libre office while using KDE?

Edit: Will be installing mint Cinamom today, and then install XFCE as well.

21. illumination

illumination Guest

SO far everything is working good, i love the UI and all the extra goodies that cinnamon does not come with.. I actually tried Fedora yesterday on a spare laptop, loved it too, but when i tried to install on my Sony, secure boot had issues with it. Fedora is supposed to be one of the "TOP" that should install with secure boot, but, it did not.. So im likely going to stick with MINT and try flavors, next will be Mint Debian

22. akiratoriyama

Cinnamon better than GNOME 3?

23. illumination

illumination Guest

In being aesthetically pleasing, GNOME 3 takes the cake.. Cinnamon works great on older machines though, and for newer users, it's simplicity is quite welcome.
    [hr]
    Placing KDE Plasma Desktop on Cinnamon was working good until this morning, when my update manager told me i had updates, that simply would not install.. It went through the motions of clicking install, then the updater would abruptly shut down.. So, one of the things i love about Linux, is that , an hour later, im running a clean version of Cinnamon again..

EDIT: I figured out the issue, and now am running both Cinnamon and KDE desktops..

24. Bala

Okay, I usually wont mix up a GTK environment with a QT one. I have dried installing Kubuntu desktop on ubuntu and its went bad for me at least. I had a broken login screen and what not.
    Its been great if it is working for you without any major troubles. Gonna install mint myself today.

25. illumination

illumination Guest

It is working great.. I have a new fondness for KDE.. Im going to run this config until the end of the month, when Linux Mint will be releasing a new version of their KDE, and then i will wipe this, and install that only..

26. Bala

Hmn i tried mint kde 16 and libre office looks funny in it.

Sent from my GT-S6312 using Tapatalk