Distro recommendation for Bala/Desktop Environment recommendation

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bala, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Okay finally I have got the courage to ditch mainstream Windows and go linux. Its more of a time factor than the courage factor as I am about to finish all my exams.

So now I decided on Ubuntu for its mega extensive support in the form of Askubuntu. But I am not a fan of unity, and its lack of configuration.

So back to the point I am relying on Cinamom/Mate as an alternative to Unity. Have not ruled out XFCE completely as well.

So what would you guys recommendation be? Any of you uses these DEs?

I am also considering KDE 4, but I would miss the majority GTK apps. With unity using GTK, I dont think QT apps are having the force. So I am wary of going KDE although I liked it.

Linux is at a bad cross roads. I wish GNOME 3 is not what it is today. It has really spelled the end of GNOME.

2. Google Adsense

3. captainfreeky

captainfreeky Initiat3

I would recommend this one the stand alone one not the rolling release http://www.netrunner-os.com/download/ the forum is good always ready to help even the admin and the team :) Just hold on for the next release

4. Bala

Hmm Netrunner seems promising.
    Thanks Captain.

5. softwar3365

softwar3365 Member

I tried Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. Seems buggy to me. Computer just hangs whenever I try to reduce the brightness. Removed it right away. Using Linux Mint now and happy with it.

6. Bala

Your thoughts came at the right time mate, I was too looking through many websites and I have finally decided to use Linux Mint as well. Seems they have crafted their distribution to perfection almost.
    I just want to know what DE you use on Mint?
    Mate or Cinnamom or XFCE or KDE?

7. softwar3365

softwar3365 Member

I dual boot my machine along with windows, so I use Cinnamon to utilize the full potential of RAM.
    If you are just going to use it in a VM, then probably MATE/XFCE/KDE are the best options otherwise I recommend Cinnamon.

8. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator Staff Member

Trusty Tahr worse than Saucy Salamander ?
    Which is the best Debian based Distro for developing kernels and which does not have stupid bugs like Ubuntu ?

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

9. Bala

Cinamom and KDE or almost on same footing RAM wise, but I like KDE and its customizability better. I may install Cinamom DE with it as well. One thing to note about LM is its KDE version ships with most of the GTK packages and applications especially GTK ones render nicely, better than others. For open suse I found a Dodiemedo to say it had a lot of crashes and bugs.