ConduSIV Diskeeper 16 Professional Review

Discussion in 'Reviews and Tests' started by RGiskardR, Nov 29, 2017.

1. RGiskardR

RGiskardR Malware Tester Silver Member

Hello colleagues from TweakBytes!!!

I would like to present the review of this very interesting product:

ConduSIV Diskeeper 16 Professional!!!!!! :mail:

I hope You enjoy with its amazing features !!!

There We go!!!

__________________________________________________________________________​

Interesting links to Diskeeper 16 Pro Resources, Guides and FAQ.

General info of the product and links to resources at Condusiv Website:

Product Info: http://www.condusiv.com/business/diskeeper/professional/default.aspx

Download Free Trial: http://learn.condusiv.com/Diskeeper-16-Evaluation.html?utm_source=condusiv-site&utm_medium=website-link&utm_campaign=Diskeeper16

Download Evaluation: http://www.condusiv.com/evaluation-software/?p=home

Features: http://www.condusiv.com/business/diskeeper/professional/features/default.aspx

Tech Specs / System Requirements: http://www.condusiv.com/business/diskeeper/professional/tech-specs/default.aspx

Condusiv Products: http://www.condusiv.com/products/

Online Support / FAQ: http://www.condusiv.com/support/online/

Request Support: http://www.condusiv.com/support/Techsupport.aspx

Condusiv Blog: http://blog.condusiv.com/

Condusiv Forum: http://www.condusiv.com/support/forum/

Windows Testing System and Hardware Specs.

Here is some info about the system where I tested and ran Diskeeper 16 Pro. Some pics are worth a thousand words…

SIV1.png

SIV2.png

SIV3.png

SIV4.png

Diskeeper 16 Pro: Advanced Optimization Technologies.

At a 1st impression We may think that Diskeeper is another one of all the defragmenting software tools in the market, but the reality is that the technologies integrated on it are far beyond…

I’m so sorry that I’m going to borrow a slight piece of text taken from the product Help, because guess I won’t be able to explain better with my own words:

• IntelliWrite® fragmentation prevention is the ground breaking technology that prevents the majority of fragmentation from ever occurring in the first place, dramatically improving system performance. A small percentage of fragmentation is not preventable and will be eliminated by Automatic Defragmentation. The combination of IntelliWrite and Automatic Defragmentation will keep your system running at optimum performance in the most effective and efficient way possible.
    • IntelliMemory® caching technology provides intelligent read caching which greatly improves file read times while lowering the number of drive I/Os. This technology improves I/O performance and allows the system to do more work, faster.
    • Instant Defrag™ is an enhancement to Automatic Defragmentation that quickly eliminates any fragmentation that is not proactively prevented with IntelliWrite. Rather than waiting for potentially extended periods of time for fragmentation to build up, this feature provides uninterrupted peak system performance. Progressively more beneficial the larger the volume, Instant Defrag also saves system resources by minimizing the need for volume-wide analysis and defragmentation tasks.
    Apart from this, the product is designed to be completely safe, specialized to improve the Windows performance without interfering user working with files nor the rest of system applications, and it may and should work without any user intervention, which is really nice! :cool:

If you want to know more about how it works, You can check product Help and also the Web site links already provided in the 1st point of this review.

Diskeeper 16 Pro Installation in Windows 10.

Installation of Diskeeeper 16 Pro (build 19.0.1226.0) was easy and fluent, just finished You should reboot the system to apply changes in order to a correct working of the application. I have to add that originally was installed in W10 Pro RS2/CU x64, but some weeks ago this system was upgraded (patched) with the new mayor update W10 Pro RS3/FCU x64, and it seems any issues and working so far.

Installation.gif

Once installation is finished, Your are asked to register Your product:

R1.png
    A short-cut to Diskeeper 16 in our desktop will be appear, also an icon in Windows notification area in our task bar. If We double click with left mouse button We’ll get a W10 floating notification with 2 data stats performed by DK: total Storage I/O Time Saved and total I/Os Eliminated. If only one click with right mouse button, then will get a small menu to Launch Diskeeper UI (the same effect than double click in short-cut created in dekstop), Disable Auto Notifications (usually will get one in every start of the system) or Exit and close the icon.

Desktop Notification.png ICONS.png

For those who are not familiar/acquainted with this technical term: I/Os, this is what WikiPedia says about it.

Diskeeper 16 Pro Main Graphic User Interface: System OverView.

This is the main/home menu to navigate for every setting and section of the product. By default it is set in Home -> Benefits tab, where a summary of all the optimizations performed by Diskeeper in our system during an specific period of time are shown as well as the status of the already mentioned optimizations technologies involved.

A tick will indicate the status, if green -> enabled, red -> disabled:

OP-TECH-GREEN.png

The stats benefits data showed are I/Os Eliminated (Total / Read / Write), Storage I/O Time Saved and File System Optimizations (Prevented and Eliminated / Free Spaces Consolidated) expressed in different units such as I/Os (Inputs/Outputs, meaning previously already mentioned the in this review), days/hours/minutes/seconds, number of fragments or total file system free spaces consolidated.

MG1.png

By default, period (time frame) is set to Since Installation of the product, but with Select day frame We can set different times frames (24 hours / 7 days / 30 days / 60 days / 3 months / 6 months) or set a custom specific one:

Time Frame.gif

We also have in this tab Save button: which lets generate a PDF file ("Diskeeper Dashboard Summary Report.pdf") of the System OverView benefits stats, this is how it looks like pdf report in my FoxIt Reader (1st of 8 pages):

Save.gif

And also Print button:

MG9.png
    Those 2 last features are also available to I/O Performance and Analytics tabs.

Let’s go now to I/O Performance tab, it displays a very detailed summary of I/O performance data, it is divided in 3 sections.

In the first section, there are Average, Maximum and Minimum stats values for these 3 different metrics: I/Os Per Second (IOPS), I/O Throughput in Megabytes per Second (MB/sec) & I/O Latency in milliseconds (msecs), alongside with the average percentage of Read to Write I/Os (RD/WRT %)

The second shows the total workload of I/Os processed (also included from cache) in GigaBytes (GB) always depending on the day frame We set previously.

Finally, in the third section the amount of memory used during the specified day frame we have set. This includes 3 data metrics: Total physical dynamic memory (DRAM) in the system (in my case 8GB ~ 7,996GB), I/O Data Satisfied from Cache (IntelliMemory technology) and Free Memory Used by the Cache.

For that last metric (Free memory Used by the Cache): average, minimum, and maximum values for free memory used by the cache are shown. For each of these values, the corresponding total free memory in the system is also displayed (Total Free Memory is memory used by cache + memory reported by the system as free).

In that section the text may change of color depending on memory availability -> if it is limited and may not be satisfactory to do DRAM caching (IntelliMemory):
    • Text will get red: extremely limited memory available for caching.
    • Text will get yellow: enough memory, but not as much as would allow for optimum caching.
    IO Performance.gif

And now the last tab of System OverView: Analytics, where We have an hour by hour graphical stats for performance metrics. By default, 24 hour time fame is selected. Hour 0 = midnight. For time frames > 24 hours the average for each hour is displayed.

Expand all / Collapse all settings are also available, or just doing it individually clicking on every metric.

Analytics.gif

------------------------​

Wow! That was a bit hard! What an orgy of technical concepts! :read: Anyway, at any time We may consult product Help and find out in its Glossary, where most of them are well explained, but if some would not be included, there is always WikiPedia ;)

Glossary.png

scot, ivancicaIvana, Trim and 3 others like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. RGiskardR

Diskeeper 16 Pro Settings (System).

There are 2 tabs here Basic and Advanced.

In Basic settings, We may enable/disable these four Diskeeper 16 Pro features/technologies: IntelliMemory Caching Technology, IntelliWrite Technology, Automatic Fragmentation Elimination and Automatic Space Reclamation.

There is a brief explanation of each one, but if We want a more wider info about how They work just click over the question mark HELP3.png in the top right of the window and will get a contextual and extended explanation.

There is also an option to configure the product to automatically run a checking of Updates and Upgrades.

I recommend to keep enabled all of those 5 options (which are enabled by default) in order to a correct performing of Diskeeper 16 Pro.

In Advanced tab, We found a more specific control of how Diskeeper 16 Pro technologies work and interact with our system. Let’s go to to check one by one…
    • Automatic Fragmentation Elimination Options, by default set to Eliminate fragmentation depending on storage type. He there are also 2 more options: Eliminate only critical fragmentation and Eliminate fragmentation extensively. Every option has its own brief but well explained explanation, but as previously mentioned, We can also click on Help to more extended info.
    • Space Reclamation Options, by default set Notify Storage Manager of unused drive areas. He there are also 2 more options: Mark clusters for reclamation by zeroing out blocks and Use both methods to mark clusters for reclamation. An extended explanation of how They work is available in contextual Help clicking in Hep (Question Mark).
    • Drive Detection: Diskeeper is designed to automatically detect the drive type of our systems: DASD -> direct attached storage device (HDD or SSD) or a RASD -> remote attached storage device (SAN), and apply optimizations technologies according to this, but implementation of standards by manufacturers do not fully adhere to standards specifications and may lead to inaccurate identification of a drive type, so We may change manually the type of our device just clicking in the User Designation column of the specific device and selecting the right type:
    Change Drive Detection.png

• System Monitoring, the available options are: I do not agree to provide collected information to Condusiv Technologies and I agree to provide collected information to Condusiv. During installation process, You are asked to enable this feature and send them telemetry data of Your system. In Help We find this: Information collected does not include any personal or private information such as your computer name, user name(s), passwords, folder names or any file contents but will include process names running on your system. Condusiv Privacy Policy.
    • File Exclusions, allows us to exclude optimization operations on specific files and folders. With Browse section We can browse our drives folder structure and add files with button Exclude (or revoke an exclusion with Remove button). With Path section folders can be added also. We may even use wildcard file specifications such as * or ? (for instead: C:\Temp\*.txt (to exclude optimizations of all txt files in folder Temp). Diskeeper 16 Pro also uses an "internal" exclusion list of files that cannot be modified (for extended info check Help).
    Exclusion Folder.png
    • Proxy Settings, the product uses Internet connection to check for product updates and upgrades, product activation and to submit product telemetry to Condusiv Technologies. If We use a proxy to connect to InterNet then should configure here the specific data. These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections
    • Automatic File System Performance Timeline, allows us to turn Defragmentation and Space Reclamation on or off based on a weekly pattern, or based on specific selected dates. By default the timeline based on weekly pattern is selected, but timeline based on specific dates is also available. Horizontal bars in the timeline show periods of time, and colours periods when defragmentation and/or space Reclamation is turned on or off (red -> off, light blue -> on). To select a time period, just mouse left-click and drag the mouse pointer on any of the segments in the timeline to alternately enable and disable. With Options button We may toggle between 12/24 hour clock, also to
      Include All or Exclude All the times periods in the timeline.​
    Settings1.gif

Settings2.gif

Diskeeper 16 Pro Reports (System Monitoring).

General information reports about our system environment will be shown in this section (average from the past 7 days). They will be only available 2 to 3 hours after the system has been rebooted.

I’ve found that sometimes data reports are not available when We 1st visit this section in a session:

Reports - System Monitoring.png

And only after We change to a different setting tab and then come back after some seconds finally reports will appear (also try to press F5 – Refresh key), so a bit patient here J

System Monitoring will collect information about our system (resources), and then will be used to generate the Reports. The data collection does not include any personal/private information (computer name, user name, passwords, folder names, etc.) This information, when provided to Condusiv Technologies may help solve computing performance problems in the future.

Four main sections of statistics are available:
    • CPU Usage, this graph shows average CPU usage (from the past 7 days), and average day data per hour.
    • Drive I/O Activity, this graph average disk I/O activity from the (from the (past 7 days), and average data per hour.
    • Processes with Highest Resource Utilization, there are 3 lists here showing what processes on our system utilize (from the past 7 days): Highest Average CPU, Highest Cumulative I/O Utilization and Highest Cumulative Split I/O Utilization.
    • File Types with Highest Resource Utilization, there are 2 lists here showing what file types on your system utilize (from the past 7 days): Highest Cumulative I/O Utilization and Highest Cumulative Split I/O Utilization.
    Reports - System Monitoring.gif

Diskeeper 16 Pro Actions.

In this tab We found the following settings:

• Perform Manual Operations, allows us to select a volume and perform 2 manual operations: Optimize or Reclaim Space. During the operation a process bar and some statistics will be shown, also results once finished. We may pause or stop the operation. Some important notes: manually optimizing (defragmenting) or reclaiming space may increase the size of snapshots or increase the size of drives using thin provisioning. The manual Reclaim Space option is only available on Remote Attached Storage Devices (RASDs).
    MO1.png
    • Check for Updates and Upgrades, to manually force the product checking for Updates & Upgrades, our system default browser will be open with Condusiv official WebSite and a notification will be shown:
    CHKU1.png

CHKU2.png

• Diskeeper FeedBack, our system default browser will be open with Condusiv official WebSite and a form to fill if We want to send some comments and/or opinions about the product or contact to developers.
    FEEDB1.png

FEEDB2.png

• Activate Product, only available if the product is not activated yet. This menu option will take you to the Activation Screen.
    • Refresh (F5), pressing F5 in Your keyboard will perform one-time refresh of the current screen:
    REFRESH1.png

• About Diskeeper, will show About Diskeeper screen (product version, product key, etc.):
    ABO1.png

ABO2.png

• Help, will open product help (providing a context-sensitive help screen):

HELP1.png

HELP2.png

4. RGiskardR

Resource Consumption in Windows 10 Pro RS3/FC x64.

Let’s check the services & executables that Diskeeper 16 Pro runs while optimizing our systems. As We can see, it will not take much CPU/RAM, in fact it really runs light as hell! I didn’t notice it during my daily working :cool:. Here are some screen-shots:

MEM & RESOURCES 1.png MEM & RESOURCES 2.png MEM & RESOURCES 3.png MEM & RESOURCES 4.png

Final Worlds.

The good: great Help system (contextual) and almost every setting/data in screen has its own tip/brief explanation good for inexperienced users. Clean and attractive interface, very intuitive and easy to manage. It was extremely light running in my system, and almost did not notice it doing its job.

To improve: I have noticed the absence of some technical words in the Glossary (Help) which would be very good for users without much technical knowledge (for instead: I/Os, millisecond, latency, DRAM)

Bottom line: in general, there is nothing bad I can say about this amazing tool! For newbies/standard users is great, since it runs almost “in invisible mode” and do its job very well without user intervention (in defaults settings)

Moreover, for advanced users, there are tons and tons of reports and stats They will find very interesting to control the optimizations applied in their systems as well as many advanced settings to tweaks the operation of the product.

In conclusion, great tool for any kind of user, intelligent operation without user intervention but advanced settings for the most demanding users :clap::congrats:

I would like to thank to:

ConduSIV

@jasonX for pushing me to do this review

and

@BC2Tweak for his support!

The End… That’s all folks !!! :D

5. RGiskardR

Guys, put attention :read: in many of the DK GUI screen-shots because are animated gifs that change every 10 seconds aprox. :ohno::elated:

jat_forcee and Trim like this.
  6. Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende Malware Tester Silver Member

Interesting software, never heard of before!
    Thank you for sharing this detailed review @RGiskardR with us and thank you for taking your time!
    Great :thanx:

Trim, jat_forcee and RGiskardR like this.
  7. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

RGiskardR,

Thanks for the review! I sent word to the developer of it earlier! Great work pal!

8. Trim

Trim MTAC Moderator Staff Member

Amazing work here @RGiskardR , thanks for posting it! Very detailed and good software. :ohno: