Comodo Internet Security 6 vs Eset Smart Security 5

Discussion in 'Free software v/s Paid software' started by MrHacker, Jan 12, 2013.

?

CIS vs ESS

1. Eset Smart Security v6

64.7%
  2. Comodo Internet Security 6

35.3%
  1. MrHacker

MrHacker Initiat3 Silver Member

Choose which one you like & Why.

I Like Both , But (My Opinion)
    Comodo Internet Security 6: Advanced User
    Eset Smart Security 5: Normal user (anyone)

2. Google Adsense

3. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

I would not say Eset is only for normal users. Eset HIPS requires some advanced knowledge.
    Its UI too should be more user friendly like the concept UI you posted.

4. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Junior Member Silver Member

Well free and paid can't be compared :p

I will chose neither as I used the Eset AV and Outpost Firewall Pro Combo for nearly 5 years. Perhaps the best combo is Comodo firewall and Eset AV ? :D

5. Bala

I will try to get Outpost security suite contest. Agnitum offered it for GT but I will ask them for TBT too. Lets see.
    :)

6. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

I have that same combination of Eset Nod32 AV (no hips) and Outpost Firewall Pro on one of my paritions and it's a year now since I have it and no issues at all. Tried Eset Nod32AV (no hips) with Comodo Firewall version 5.10/5.12 with D+ also(no issues also except for the known limitations of Comodo firewall on ransomeware etc) .

I chose ESSver5 mostly because of the AV and HIPS but not the firewall. I like Comodo's better.

7. Bala

Comodo's Defense Plus as a HIPS is far stronger than the one with ESET. Eset still needs time to improve their HIPS.

8. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Board Enthusiast

CIS because it has a more powerful HIPS + Sandbox

9. stealthbomber

stealthbomber Initiat3

Why compare Old and New (with Paid and Free) software? New features potentially have added benefits.
    ESET Smart Security 5 was initially released on September 2011.
    Comodo Internet Security 6 was released January 2013.

Comodo Internet Security 6 has a solid Firewall and HIPS foundation, above that they have a Sandbox and a New Behaviour Blocker that utilizes the Auto-Sandbox. It's Antivirus has failed to appear in many of the commercial AV Testing results, therefore I cannot comment on how it performs compared to ESET's Antivirus. Youtube Prevention Tests aren't sufficient evidence to compare nor are they reliable (i.e. Wanna-be AV Testers).

ESET succeeds in areas where Comodo lacks, but I observed most voted for Comodo because it's HIPS-component has been "better-implemented" than ESET. Which is rather odd, as HIPS is partially disabled in CIS6 (OOTB).

10. Bala

Oh yes Steaalthbomber removed a great point out. He gets plus 20 rep.
    And yes HIPS is disabled by default in CIS 6. But CIS has its BB aka behavioral blocker enabled and CIS is designed in such a way that either the BB or HIPS can give the same level of protection. Plus enabling the HIPS makes a far solid config.
    And also Comodo has one of the best HIPS in terms of being silent and no chatty. Other HIPS like the one with ESET still need to mature.
    Free and paid can be compared in our free v/s paid thread.

11. saratoga23

saratoga23 Initiat3

Comodo Internet Security vote because their version 6 is excellent and very effective and I feel that is an over pco ESET version 5 to version 6 now that much either improved comfortable wins in version 6 is very well done.

12. I vote ESET if it is the new Version and I vote CIS 6 is it compared to ESET 5..:-)

13. artoor

artoor Moderator Staff Member

As far as I'm concerned, I used ESET software. So If i have to chose one of them I'll chose Eset. But the truth is, I don't use AV/IS software anymore... I like other solutions like Light Virtualisation e.g. Sandboxie, Antiexecutable, and to treat virus infection (if any is there) on demand HitmanPro or something like that :) That is my opinion.
    Kind Regards,
    Artur

14. Bala

I still dont trust full virtualization as a substitute to AV but I have seen many people taking this approach.
    But you may still keep MSE and Windows Defender along with Windows Firewall switched on. Then if you use virtuallization it will be a great combo.

15. hakah

hakah Junior Member

Between the two, I prefer Eset Smart Security which is much safer and better than Comodo. I have been using Smart Security for about 2 years. Now I make a change back to Kaspersky Internet Security as it crashes with Zemana AntiLogger quite frequently.

16. azariasz

azariasz Member

I am working on ESET Smart Security and i think it is good enough for common user. I have not try Comodo but i heard it is much more complicated to configure it than Eset SS. I like simple solution :)

17. Bala

Comodo is not much complicated. Just stay with the general settings and dont dig too deep. Or else you can also read their extensive guides for help.
    Eset also has some pretty solid guides.

18. AlDro

AlDro Member

No matter what they say, I prefer Eset to Comodo products. Eset is lighter than Comodo ;)

19. Bala

True Aldro, but CIS 6 has cut its memory usage drastically down.

20. azariasz

azariasz Member

Mayby I should give it a try then. I associate ESET with one of the lightest memory usage IS software. But some say that even Kaspersky has cut its memory usage down as well. Ohhh, I don't know. I am so addicted to ESET SS.

21. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Junior Member Silver Member

Always remember the golden rule, If it ain't broken don't fix it!

ESET is an excellent product bar none,i used eset for a very long time without any problems.

22. artoor

As arsenaloyal said... if I were you I wouldn't change the configuration :)

Gospel truth!!

23. Bala

Nope Aldro dont change from Eset. Kaspersky is nowadays a joke. I still feel heavy while using it. That is why I dumped it and moved to Bitdefender.

24. artoor

Isn't Bitdefender as a Security Pack haevy also? I heard that it consumes a lot of RAM... I don't use it, but I say what I heard :)

25. Bala

No version 2013 was a drastic improvement. I dont notice BDIS on normal usage. But as I have 400 days on my kaspersky license I may try it once the new 2014 version comes out.
    Most probably it should be on May.

26. piotr.znikl

piotr.znikl Initiat3

I like Eset. It is good and light for me.