Can I insert a non-SSD drive in place of SSD?

Discussion in 'Computers Help' started by grr, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. grr

grr Board Enthusiast Member Of Month - Tweakbytes Defender Known Member

Hello Friends,
    I need help deciding if I can replace existing SSD (120GB) with a non-SSD (1TB) drive in laptop.

Laptop model is below
    Hp Elitebook 840 G2 14" Notebook - Intel Core I5 I5-5300u Dual-Core (2 Core) 2.30 Ghz - 8 Gb Ddr3l Sdram Ram - 128 Gb Ssd - 16:9 Display - Gigabit Ethernet - 4 X Total Usb Ports - 4 X Usb 3.0 Ports - Network (Rj-45) - Headphone/Microphone Combo Port M2f64up#aba

http://www.compsource.com/pn/M2F64U...-195/Elitebook-840-G2-Notebook-Pc-M2f64upaba/

I have never worked with any SSD and hence am completely illiterate on what and how SSD works and connects to Motherboard.

As 120GB is too less for me, I want to get a bigger hard disk. However, a 1TB SSD is way too costly for me to even think about buying. Therefore, I thought if I could replace it with a non-SSD drive.

I have attached folloowing documents for someone to have a check and suggest me.
    HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC -QuickSpecs
    HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC Datasheet

Thanks, Grr

Attached Files:

RGiskardR and wwd like this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. wwd

wwd Illustrator Silver Member

I have a very old computer: C2D E8600, 4GB RAM, AMD 4870 - it was very slow....
    I bought SSD samsung Evo850 250Gb - pc it several times faster !!
    Maybe buy SSD and external usb drive?

grr and RGiskardR like this.
  4. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Hi Grr,

As I am a previous member of the HP Forums I took the liberty to join again and post what you need there. Kindly see the thread below,

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...ive-in-Hp/m-p/5898752/highlight/false#M372558

Let me know what you think and I can post it there as a reply so they can assist you further!

grr and wwd like this.
  5. grr

thanks Jason.
    Am a bit confused how to use both.
    I have a drive bay and inside that bay SSD is inserted currently. I removed the bay and checked. There is no space in the bay to add another drive.

I have attached pics to make things clear.

It seems the SSD is not like a card and in this case how to get below achieved?
    The SSD is a long thin circuit board which is sometimes called a "gumstick" and plugs in right above the hard drive.

Attached Files:

RGiskardR and wwd like this.
  6. jasonX

Hi Grr,

Hang on there :) I'll ask again for help at the HP Forums for you. I for one do now know SSD's except that what I use on my desktop but it's different when it comes to a laptop. But rest assured we will get the help! I'll PM one of the gurus there :)

Be back with some news when I get it :)

wwd, grr and RGiskardR like this.
  7. grr

Here is a new reply:
    He has an M.2 SSD and then the larger square thing in the corner is either a hard drive or another SSD or a caddy....the thing with 4 screws around it. In one picture he has the gumstick SSD installed and in the other it is removed. The thing in the corner may be just the caddy it is hard to tell, but at a minimum you do not need to buy any other parts besides a hard drive.

More questions on the above reply.

He has an M.2 SSD - not sure
    Larger square thing in the corner - yes, I removed it and it's the SSD I believe. I couldn't remove the black cover, as I don't have a suitable screw-driver.
    In one picture he has the gumstick SSD installed and in the other it is removed - I didn't remove anything while taking both the pictures. Just took 1 complete pic and another focussed on drives area.

The thing in the corner may be just the caddy - it has a drive like thing inside it and is connected.

wwd, RGiskardR and jasonX like this.
  8. jasonX

wwd, RGiskardR and grr like this.
  9. grr

thanks again Jason.
    A new replay posted
    I provided a link to the Service Manual in my first post and directed you to the pages that show how to remove that square thing. You just need to have him put a hard drive in that case and bolt it in there with 4 hard drive screws. On further review, you may need to get 4 thin-headed laptop hard drive screws but those might cost a dollar or so.

Ok, I can remove that black sqarue thing and put in a new WD (non-SSD)

Now the Question come on below reply.
    He has an M.2 SSD
    In one picture he has the gumstick SSD installed and in the other it is removed.

10. jasonX

Let me know if you have inserted a new non-SSD.

11. grr

No, just the original config as-is. Made no changes at all.

wwd and RGiskardR like this.
  12. jasonX

I thought you wanna replace that 120GB SSD..it is small (well that's just me). For the OS only it may suffice but for files way too small for me ;) Just feed me your questions and I'll ask Huffer for help :)

13. grr

Yes I wanted to replace SSD as it's of small size.
    But from the replies at HP forum (thanks to you), few new questions came up.

Reply by Huffer
    He has an M.2 SSD
    Q1
    I don't know if I have one. How to check?

Reply by Huffer
    In one picture he has the gumstick SSD installed and in the other it is removed
    Q2
    I didn't remove anything while taking both the pictures. Just took 1 complete pic and another focussed on drives area.

Reply by Huffer
    The thing in the corner may be just the caddy it is hard to tell
    Q3
    The corner thing is the current SSD, and it also has a label on the top mentionining SSD 128GB. The same can be viewed in the pic.

Thanks, Grr

wwd and RGiskardR like this.
  14. jasonX

OK will send Huffer this :)

wwd and grr like this.
  15. grr

Thanks again Jason.
    I just read latest reply from Huffer.

All confusion is over now as he corrected himself on gunstick part.:p

So I just need to buy a HD and replace the existing one.

Thanks a bunch of going back & forth helping me. :joy::shake:

16. jasonX

Yeah saw that :)

Let me know when you have successfully installed the new one and I will let Huffer know ;) Glad to help you out no problem :)

17. jasonX

Have marked this as solved in the HP forums Grr. If there's a continuation just send me word and I will seek help again for you :)

wwd, grr and RGiskardR like this.
  18. grr

Finally replaced SSD with WD-Blue 1Tb. :D:glad:

jasonX, wwd and RGiskardR like this.