Bala's Linux Environment[Linux Mint Cinamom]

Discussion in 'Desktop Show Off' started by Bala, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Bala

Bala Administrator Staff Member

Here is my simple Cinamom desktop. A mix of Ambiance and the Mint-X theme.

[​IMG]

2. Google Adsense

3. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Member

nice.. I installed Mint Cinnamon yesterday and so far its good..
    I have a problem with brightness getting reset after reboot.. do u see that ? know how to resolve ?

4. Bala

Well do you have any other applications installed? As mint is on a desktop I have not changed the brightness.
    I will try it though, and will give you a solution.

5. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Member

I dual boot with windows. After reboot brightness is at 100%. I normally have it at 40% in Windows. So tried to reduce in Mint, but its not staying after reboot. Thanks anyways.

6. illumination

illumination Guest

Laptop or desktop?

P.S. OP, looks good!

7. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Member

Laptop

8. Bala

KaptainBug i cannot reproduce your issue on the desktop. Have you installed all proprietary graphics drivers?
    Illumination can you test it? Also are you using a 64bit edition Kaptain Bug? I am using 32bit edition.

9. illumination

illumination Guest

Mine is working fine on 64bit laptop.. But i do know this is not necessarily a mint problem, but a ubuntu bug actually that has to do with certain GPU's .. Im looking into it..

10. Bala

I saw that an ubuntu forums thats why asked him for his graphic card. My uncle would be coming today so will try to test on his laptop as well and see. It has an ATI card.

11. akiratoriyama

akiratoriyama Moderator Staff Member

Old kernel bug my mate.
    Faced it myself. You can create an init.d script or update to the latest kernel.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

12. Bala

Yes there is a Kernel update for Mint, it is marked as level 5 but it is safe to use. Ubuntu gives these to you automatically so no issues. install those 4 level 5 updates and try.

13. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Member

Thank you. illumination PM'd me steps to solve the bug. Its working fine now.
    Btw, how to update the kernel to latest stable release ? I saw a procedure online, but little scared to proceed with it. Any trusted step by step instruction available ? I run 64-bit linux mint version.

14. Bala

Unless the updater shows it, dont do a kernel upgrade as your risk breaking things. Illumination it will be helpful to people if you post the solution publicly as well.

15. illumination

illumination Guest

Just follow these simple steps:

If screen brightness is stuck at maximum every startup, install xbacklight

(sudo apt-get install xbacklight)

and add "xbacklight -set x" (where 'x' = 0 to 100 desired brightness)

to the startup applications via dashboard. For example, "xbacklight -set

50".

I have set brightness for my laptop to 30.

16. software182

software182 Member

Very good bro :D