Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 : A First Spin - Review

Discussion in 'Reviews and Tests' started by jasonX, Jul 31, 2016.

1. jasonX

jasonX Giveaways Moderator Staff Member

Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 : A First Spin - Review

[​IMG]

INTRODUCTION

Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 (ABP10) is a professional backup solution featuring a revolutionary technology they call "Infinite Reverse Incremental Backup" which allows >50% space used for backup storage. ABP10 comes armed with extensive cloud backup support allowing you to backup entire disks to the cloud backup of your choice whether it be Google Drive, OneDrive, and DropBox. Etc. ABP10 can fully automate backups and resume the backup operation at any given time when and if the backup is interrupted or paused. It has an "Automatic Pausing" function which you can use anytime from the Menu Bar>Automatic Pausing. ABP10 is a reliable and efficient backup solution for you and even for beginners. Fast, secure, straightforward, no fuss software to backup and restore your computer data.

Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 (ABP10) has been around the block for quite sometime now and this made me curious as how it will perform and fare to my expectations. Been using a handful of trustworthy backup solutions over the years and I have relied on them to save me when the need arises.

In line with our upcoming Official Giveaway sponsored by Ashampoo here at Tweakbytes, this is a first spin-review of Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 (ABP10).

So let's get in on!

Start Screen/Main GUI

[​IMG]

The Main GUI of ABP10 is nice/simplistic and shows you 4 panel with functions/options which are basically tasks (a-what-do-you-want-to-do-thing) namely:

(A) Create New Backup Plan
    This a start for any backup that you want to do as here you will select what you want to backup, how and when. Let it be noted that a "backup" or the backup of the file/folder/drive etc. is tied to a "backup plan" which is basically a scheme or preferred settings you used or will use in your backup. Both "backup" and "backup plan" are inter-related. It is important to understand that in the first course of your usage of ABP10 as those who are familiar with other backup solutions may be confused here. As for "creation" when ABP10 says "Create a new Backup Plan" you are going to create a "backup/image" and alongside of it a backup plan/scheme. See some might be confused now. So my advice is just follow the succession of the each step and you'll be fine. I will dive into more here as we go along this review based on the review methodology that I will use.

[​IMG]

(B) Manage Backup Plan
    This is where you manage the existing backup plan (along with the backup you created) or shall I say, backup scheme that you have used. You can change it to your preference if out of experience the one you previously have used is not any more applicable to your preference. Moreover, the 'Restore' and 'Verify' functions are here as well as 'Backup Now', 'View Reports' and 'Delete' which as it says delete an existing "backup" and with its backup plan/scheme (--you will be asked if you want to delete just the plan/scheme that you used or as mentioned delete the scheme/plan with the backup). As we go along this review you will see that the 4 panel options are inter-related and you will see as if a "redundancy" is occurring when you perform the tasks you prefer.

[​IMG]

(C) Restore Backup
    This is where you well 'officially' restore a backup that you have made whether it is in a HDD external/internal or in cloud. I mentioned 'officially' as you will see and have mentioned previously all functions/options are inter-related and you will see redundant/similar functions/ options in other tasks you will undertake as you use ABP10. Take the case of (B) Manage Backup Plan which also has a 'Restore' and 'Verify' function/option under its belt. See what I mean..?

[​IMG]

(D) View Backup Reports
    This is where you will see the details or the report of each backup (backup plan) you did. A window will show a list of all your backups. Select whatever you want and click "Open report". The report will launch your default browser and you will be able to view your report in HTML view. Why in HTML view well perhaps ABP10 want to link your report to home.

file:///C:/Users/xxxxx/AppData/Local/Temp/Ashampoo%20Backup%20PB/reports/1339372350.tmp.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Menu Bar Elements

[​IMG]

The Menu bar consists of:

File - showing only "Exit" command to terminate ABP10.

Rescue Disc - which is a link to Ashampoo Rescue Disc page where all the pertinent data you need to create a rescue disc/usb is available.

Settings - wherein you are given the options to: (a) Change Language to your mother tongue (b) Online Sign In Settings which is basically a link to your My Ashampoo account --log-in automatically (c) Automatic pausing if you require backup pausing to give way to some of your programs that require the full power of your system or when you need to do some memory intensive endeavor, you can use this option (d) Service-Channel where you can set what ABP10 will inform you on whether you want to be notified about updates, product services, new versions and recommendations from Ashampoo Team. These are basically Ads or Ad-driven so the check-boxes are a welcome addition there if you do not want to be bothered by those Ads then uncheck it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Ashampoo - basically all that is Ashampoo in relation to Ashampoo products, your account, suggested software deals, product updates and the Activation Wizard.

[​IMG]

Help - shows a redundant 'Activation Wizard, links to Ashampoo Support/Contact Support Team, info about ABP10 and of course the basic help file.

REVIEW METHODOLOGY

For this review I will be checking out the most basic of using a backup solution which is backup and restore to local drives only. Honestly have not been a fan of cloud storage as the vulnerability to hackers and privacy matters gets nastier and more concerning everyday. I mostly use cloud storage for small files only. Also backing up to cloud is just using a different storage location but what will you backup if the whole process of backup/restore isn't tested yet..? See what I mean :)

So with Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 I will be doing:

(1) Partition Backup and Restore (drive storage partition)
    (2) Folder Backup and Restore
    (3) System Drive Backup and Restore

For this review I have prepared a new partition with a size of 57.9 GB and labeled it "Trial_Partition". Have prepared also an existing vacant 240GB partition for as backup storage drive of Ashampoo Backup Pro 10. Please see contents of (F) : Trial_Partition below.

[​IMG]

2. Google Adsense

3. jasonX

(1) Partition Backup and Restore

Partition Backup and Restore > Partition Backup

There are a total of 15 Steps to Create a New Backup Plan.

Step 1_Select Storage Type
    To start making a backup you'd have to go to and click "(A) Create New Backup Plan", from there you will be taken to a step 1 where you will be asked to select the backup storage type. The options given are: (a) Local drive or network drive (b) Dropbox (c) Google Drive (d) OneDrive (e) Strato HiDrive (f) 1&1 Cloud (h) MagentaCLOUD.

As mentioned above this review will focus on "Local drives" so I will select (a) Local drive or network drive and then click "Next".

Step 2_Select Backup Drive
    From there the next step (step 2) will let you select the backup drive or the drive to where you will place your backups. For this I will select J: (ST1TQY_ER_ISOs) which is my prepared storage drive for this review. At the bottom of the window you will see "Folder Name" this is for the folder that ABP10 will create to store all your backups. You will see there that it is pre-named by default as "Ashampoo Backups".

ABP10 recommends not to change the name of the folder.

Step 3_Create or Import backup plan
    In step 3 two (2) options are given, (a) Create a new backup plan, and (b) Import backup plan from an existing backup. As we just started we do not have an existing backup/backup plan so we will select (a). In (a) you will be asked to enter a name --"Backup Plan Name", for the backup plan/scheme that you will be creating. Take note and as mentioned earlier, creation of a "backup"(image) is tied to a "backup plan"/scheme and vice versa.

"Trial_Partition_Backup" is the backup plan name for this Partition Backup.

Please see steps 1 to 3 in the image below.

[​IMG]

Step 4_What would you like to backup?
    The next step, two (2) options are given, (a) Backup entire drives, partitions, hard disks or your whole computer (Image Backup), and (b) Backup a selection of files, folders, settings,

As this is a "Partition Backup and Restore" I will select option (a) Backup entire drives, partitions, hard disks or your whole computer (Image Backup). ABP10 has also displayed some Advantages/Disadvantages to guide the user in his/her choice. Nice one there.

Step 5_Select Source Drives
    The next step asks you to select the source drives or the drive or drives that you will backup. For this matter I will select F: [Trial_Partition].

Step 6_Password Protection

Next step will give you options for securing your backup with a password and if you will want to use encryption or not. ABP10 offers AES-128, AES-256, Cost-128 and Blowfish encryption methods. I chose “do not encrypt the backup”.

Step 7_Compression settings
    Next step will ask you whether you want to compress your backups or not. If you "compress" your backup you will need less space and the backup time is faster. By "not compressing" ABP10 says it is compatible with other applications -- Ashampoo further states that "you should enable compression unless you're planning on opening the backup with a third-party application that does not offer compression support". Well I will not dwell on that as I need to keep backup space to a minimum.

Step 8_Version settings
    Next step will ask you how the backups should be made, giving you two (2) options,

(a) Infinite Incremental Backup - Small and faster, which is as Ashampoo states,

(b) Make new full backups regularly - Slight safer, but bigger

If I understand correctly incremental backups contains only those files which have been changed since the last backup you did. This is best when you need frequent backup versions and rolling back to a specific time. So all those "increments" depend on each other for a successful recovery. So if there is corruption say, in one of the increments, then the whole backup is now unusable. So beware dear user ;)

For this review I will select option (a) Infinite Incremental Backup - Small and faster as I need less space and faster backups.

Step 9_Backup Schedule
    Next step will ask you how frequently and when the automatic backups should be done or started. The options given are: (a) No Automatic Backups --which it says the backup won't start at a scheduled time. You will have to start it manually, (b) Daily Backup (c) Weekly Backup, and (d) Advanced. As I do not need scheduling at the moment I will choose (a) No Automatic Backups.

Further tinkering in the (d) Advanced showed options when to start as (a) Daily, (b) Day of the Week, and (c) Day of the Month. There is no option there to start automatically after backup plan has been created. There is no calendar there to set it to start at a specific date and time. Only option given is to set it at "what day" of the week or month and the time you want to start the backup creation.

So after you have finished all the 15 steps of "Create New Backup Plan" you will have to start it manually if you want to run the backup after backup plan has been setup or use the "time per day" and "time per-day of the week/month" scheduling.

[​IMG]

Please see steps 4 to 9 in the image below.

[​IMG]

4. jasonX

Step 10_Missed Backups
    ABP10 gives you options when you have missed a schedule backup plan say, a power outage or something out of the blue that ABP10 missed performing your schedule operation. The options given are: (a) Make a backup at the next opportunity, and (b)Skipped the missed backups.

As I do not need scheduling at the moment and have chosen (a) No Automatic Backups in the Backup Schedule, I will choose (b) Skipped the missed backups.

Step 11_Power Settings
    ABP10 gives you options to either automatically shut down the computer after the backup creation is finished or not. It also gives you 3 options when the computer wants to go into sleep mode, (a) Allow sleep mode, (b) Allow sleep mode only if running on battery power (c) Prevent sleep mode. For this matter I will select (c) Prevent sleep mode.

Step 12_Backup Reports
    As with all other backup solutions, ABP10 also creates report each time a backup is created. In this step you can set how many old reports are maintained for this particular backup plan/backup. The default is 27 reports so I will leave it at that.

Step 13_Backup Report Emails
    ABP10 can send to you automatically via email the backup reports of each backup creation. It will do so via your My Ashampoo account and of course by allowing ABP10 to connect to the internet for this endeavor. A checkbox is present for you to mark/check if you will allow this feature.

Step 14_Summary
    In this step ABP10 will show you all the options that you have selected for this particular backup plan/backup.

Step 15_Backup Now
    In this step ABP10 will show you that you have to start the backup creation manually. Since I have opted to set it at (a) No Automatic Backups in step 9_Backup Schedule I indeed will have to start it manually though there is really no way to start it automatically after you have finished step 15.

Please see steps 9 to 15 in the image below.

[​IMG]

I fired up my FlashBack Pro 5 recorder and started the backup process manually (in anticipation of a longer wait period for this backup process) but to my surprise it was finished already.

The whole backing up process took 6:20 minutes for a 9.12 GB used content of 57 GB drive. (From there you can do some math and have an idea of how long will ABP10 backup a larger capacity).

[​IMG]

Backup size is 9.07 GB versus the Trial_Partition size of 9.12 GB. A difference of .05 GB (compression).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let it be noted that ABP10 creates a folder in "C:\Users\_ashbackuppb_". Please see image below. The Help file does not state for what purpose it is.

[​IMG]

Partition Backup Verification

Every backup needs to be verified in order for us to know if we can rely on what we have or not. ABP10 has this capability but it is not automatic after backup creation. Backup plan/backup verification is done manually (and as mentioned previously). There is no option/way you can set it up to verify automatically once the backup process has finished unlike other backup software out there. I fired up my FlashBack Pro 5 recorder and started the verification process manually but this time waited to see. It was pretty fast and took only 2:14 minutes.

[​IMG]

Partition Backup and Restore > Partition Restore

To prepare for the Trial_Partition restore, I formatted Trial_Partition(F) : using Minitool Partition Wizard.

After a verification is done there is no other option but to return to the Main Menu. From there if you want to restore you can either (1) Use the (C) Restore Backup, or (2) Use the Backup List (located below the panels of the Main Menu (GUI).

The faster method is to double-click the backup in that very same backup list which will automatically get you to the "What /How to Restore". Whole process takes only 4 steps.

[​IMG]

If you choose to restore via the Main Menu (GUI), then you have either have 7 steps or 5 steps, depending on the selection you choose. Let me show you the difference between each of what you will have to choose using the (C) Restore Backup >.

Restore backup from other location will take you to 7 steps before you can launch a restore. Take note of the step where the "What /How to Restore" is. See image below.

[​IMG]

Restore backup from an installed plan will take you 5 steps before you can launch a restore. Again please take note of the step where the "What /How to Restore" is. See image below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whichever you choose will depend on you. But the thing here is the operation needs more streamlining so to speak as a user might be accustomed to a particular method and then just discover by accident that there is a "better/faster" way.

The actual restore time (without the --4 steps / 5 steps or 7 steps) took 24:04 minutes.
    The Trial_Partition restore for F: went fine and there was no changes or any corrupted file for that matter.

[​IMG]

5. jasonX

(2) Folder Backup and Restore

Folder Backup and Restore > Folder Backup

There are a total of 16 steps to take to do a Folder Backup.

To start making a backup you'd have to go to and click "(A) Create New Backup Plan", from there you will be taken to a step 1 where you will be asked to select the backup storage type. The same options given are: (a) Local drive or network drive (b) Dropbox (c) Google Drive (d) OneDrive (e) Strato HiDrive (f) 1&1 Cloud (h) MagentaCLOUD.

As mentioned above this review will focus on "Local drives" so I will select (a) Local drive or network drive and then click "Next".

From there the next step (step 2) will let you select the backup drive or the drive to where you will place your backups. For this I will select J: (ST1TQY_ER_ISOs) which is my prepared storage drive for this review. At the bottom of the window you will see "Folder Name" this is for the folder that ABP10 will create to store all your backups. You will see there the same pre-named by default folder, "Ashampoo Backups".

ABP10 recommends not to change the name of the folder.

In step 3 two (2) options are given, (a) Create a new backup plan, and (b) Import backup plan from an existing backup. As we just started we do not have an existing backup/backup plan so we will select (a). In (a) you will be asked to enter a name --"Backup Plan Name", for the backup plan/scheme that you will be creating.

Take note and as mentioned earlier, creation of a "backup"(image) is tied to a "backup plan"/scheme and vice versa. For this Folder Backup I will enter "Folder Backup" as name.

The next step, two (2) options are given, (a) Backup entire drives, partitions, hard disks or your whole computer (Image Backup), and (b) Backup a selection of files, folders, settings,

As this is a "Folder Backup and Restore" I will select option (b) Backup a selection of files, folders, settings,

ABP10 has also displayed some Advantages/Disadvantages to guide the user in his/her choice. Nice one there.

Step 5_Please choose a backup format
    Here you are given tow (2) choices, either: (a) Standard Format, or (b) Simple 1:1 File Copy. The differences of each are quoted below.

For this particular folder backup we will select (b) Simple 1:1 File Copy because I want to verify if it really is a 1:1 copy of the original folder.

Step 6_What would you like to backup..?
    Here you are given tow (2) choices, either: (a) Standard Folders, (b) Internet, Email and Organizers (c) File By Type (d) Manual File and Folder Selection (e) Exclusions.

Since I want to backup the "My Pictures" folder I will select (d) Manual File and Folder Selection and then browse to where the "My Pictures" folder is located.

Note: Exclusions are those files that are normally excluded during backups. See image below.

[​IMG]

Please see steps 1 to 6 in the image below.

[​IMG]

Step 7_Compression Settings
    After you have selected the specific folder you are then asked if you want to compress your data or not. For this part I will choose not to compress it.

Step 8_Password Protection

Next step will give you options for securing your backup with a password and if you will want to use encryption or not. ABP10 offers AES-128, AES-256, Cost-128 and Blowfish encryption methods. I chose “do not encrypt the backup”.

Step 9_Backup Schedule
    Next step will ask you how frequently and when the automatic backups should be done or started. The same options given are: (a) No Automatic Backups --which it says the backup won't start at a scheduled time. You will have to start it manually, (b) Daily Backup (c) Weekly Backup, and (d) Advanced. Take note the (d) Advanced is the same as that previously mentioned in the Partition Backup and Restore > Step 9,

The same options are used by ABP10. So as I do not need scheduling at the moment I will choose (a) No Automatic Backups.

6. jasonX

Step 10_Missed Backups
    As also mentioned previously, ABP10 gives you options when you have missed a schedule backup plan say, a power outage or something out of the blue that ABP10 missed performing your schedule operation. The options given are: (a) Make a backup at the next opportunity, and (b) Skipped the missed backups.

As I do not need scheduling at the moment and have chosen (a) No Automatic Backups in the Backup Schedule, I will choose (b) Skipped the missed backups.

Step 11_Power Settings
    ABP10 gives you the same options to either automatically shut down the computer after the backup creation is finished or not. It also gives you 3 options when the computer wants to go into sleep mode, (a) Allow sleep mode, (b) Allow sleep mode only if running on battery power (c) Prevent sleep mode. For this matter I will select (c) Prevent sleep mode.

Please see steps 7 to 11 in the image below.

[​IMG]

Step 12_Backup Reports
    As with all other backup solutions, ABP10 also creates report each time a backup is created. I chose Normal: summary and errors. The number of old reports to keep I left at 9.

As also mentioned previously, ABP10 can send to you automatically via email the backup reports of each backup creation. It will do so via your My Ashampoo account and of course by allowing ABP10 to connect to the internet for this endeavor. A checkbox is present for you to mark/check if you will allow this feature.

Step 14_Version Settings
    Here you how long to keep older versions of files that are a part of this backup plan/backup (--- for this folder backup plan). (a) You have state/specify the number of days retention or (b) only keep the current version and delete all old versions.

Chose "Keep older versions for at least 30 days".

Step 15_Summary
    Shows the summary for this backup plan/backup, in this case the "Folder Backup".

Step 16_Backup Now
    You are ready to backup now. Take note that scheduling is done "time per day" and "time per-day of the week/month" scheduling but if you want to start the backup after you have created the backup plan you will have to click "Backup Now" to start it manually.

Please see steps 12 to 16 in the image below.

[​IMG]

I fired up my FlashBack Pro 5 recorder and started the folder backup process manually.

The whole backing up process took 1:49 minutes for a 5.97 MB folder.

[​IMG]

Backup size is 5.98 MB versus the My Pictures folder size of 5.97 MB. Backup size increased by .01 MB.

[​IMG]

Folder Backup Verification

In every backup we do and as with most of backup solutions out in the market a verification is a must. In ABP10 File/Folder verification is NOT SUPPORTED!!! I wonder why that is... :(

See image below.

[​IMG]

Folder Backup and Restore > Folder Restore

As it was shown previously in the Partition Backup and Restore > Restore that using the Main Menu>(C) Restore Backup > is very lengthy, I decided to use the fastest way to restore which is from the Backup Status list.

Before this restoration, I deleted:\My Pictures". And then went on to restore the backed-up folder.

From the Main Menu I double-clicked the "Folder Backup" in the Backup Status list. Clicked "Restore" in the left side selection/option of the GUI. It showed a window wherein I was asked to select the files/folder I wanted to restore. By double-clicking the folder I was able to see the contents paving the way for me to: (a) select ONLY the files I want to restore or (b) select it all. Well this is a "folder backup" so I did not do anything as by default all is selected.

The next windows asked the destination of the folder to be restored. I chose "F:"

A summary of the backup plan/backup -- folder backup restore is shown to let you see and verify what you setup for this restore. If you see that you have erred you can always use the "Back" function to start over where you see you have made a mistake.

The restore time was fast and I didn't even have time to fire up FlashBack Pro 5 to record it. It took about >5 seconds to restore the folder!

Please see steps 1 to 5 in the image below.

[​IMG]

Please see steps 6 to 7 and the restored folder addition in the image below.

[​IMG]

When I checked out the folder in F:, I did not see the "My Pictures" folder outright but a "Restored on 2016-07-28" folder. That folder had another folder marked "F" and then there was the "My Pictures" folder I backed up. Contents were the same and there was no corruption whatsoever. The full path of the folder restore is,

F:\Restored on 2016-07-28\F\My Pictures

Now I am confused as to why ABP10 has created a "new" folder instead of recovering the lone "My Pictures" folder to "F:" The setup was specific in pointing towards only "F: My Pictures".

I had to manually use the "Move-to" or "Cut/paste" to place the "My Pictures" folder to its original place.

Let it be noted that there are no logs to show. Even a "no errors" or "restore successful" was present. It was blank!!

7. jasonX

(3) System Drive Backup and Restore

System Drive Backup and Restore > System Drive Backup

As with the Partition Backup, there are also a total of 15 steps to undertake to create a System Drive backup.

To start making a backup you'd have to go to and click "(A) Create New Backup Plan", from there you will be taken to a step 1 where you will be asked to select the backup storage type. The same options given are: (a) Local drive or network drive (b) Dropbox (c) Google Drive (d) OneDrive (e) Strato HiDrive (f) 1&1 Cloud (h) MagentaCLOUD.

From there the next step (step 2) will let you select the backup drive or the drive to where you will place your backups. For this I will select J: (ST1TQY_ER_ISOs) which is my prepared storage drive for this review. At the bottom of the window you will see "Folder Name" this is for the folder that ABP10 will create to store all your backups.

In step 3 two (2) options are given, (a) Create a new backup plan, and (b) Import backup plan from an existing backup. This is a new backup plan for a system drive backup so we will select (a). In (a) you will be asked to enter a name --"Backup Plan Name", for the backup plan/scheme that you will be creating. Take note and as mentioned earlier, creation of a "backup"(image) is tied to a "backup plan"/scheme and vice versa.

I entered, "Partition C_via ABP10" as backup plan name as it is a backup of system drive C:/

As this is a "System Drive Backup" I will select option (a) Backup entire drives, partitions, hard disks or your whole computer (Image Backup).

Step 5_Select Source Drives
    The next step asks you to select the source drives or the drive or drives that you will backup. For this matter I will select C: [W8143].

Step 6_Password Protection

Please see steps 1 to 6 in the image below.

[​IMG]

Step 7_Compression settings
    Next step will ask you whether you want to compress your backups or not. If you "compress" your backup you will need less space and the backup time is faster. By "not compressing" ABP10 says it is compatible with other applications -- Ashampoo further states that "you should enable compression unless you're planning on opening the backup with a third-party application that does not offer compression support". Again I will not dwell on that as I need to keep backup space to a minimum.

Step 8_Version settings
    Next step will ask you how the backups should be made, giving you the same two (2) options: (a) Infinite Incremental Backup - Small and faster, and (b) Make new full backups regularly - Slight safer, but bigger. For this system drive backup I will select option (a) Infinite Incremental Backup - Small and faster as I need less space and faster backups.

Step 9_Backup Schedule
    Next step will ask you how frequently and when the automatic backups should be done or started. The options given are: (a) No Automatic Backups --which it says the backup won't start at a scheduled time. You will have to start it manually, (b) Daily Backup (c) Weekly Backup, and (d) Advanced.

Take note again the (d) Advanced is the same as that previously mentioned in the Partition Backup and Restore > Step 9,

So as I do not need scheduling at the moment I will choose (a) No Automatic Backups.

Step 10_Missed Backups
    ABP10 gives you options when you have missed a schedule backup plan say, a power outage or something out of the blue that ABP10 missed performing your schedule operation. The same options given are: (a) Make a backup at the next opportunity, and (b) Skipped the missed backups.

Step 11_Power Settings
    ABP10 gives you options to either automatically shut down the computer after the backup creation is finished or not. It also gives you the same 3 options when the computer wants to go into sleep mode, (a) Allow sleep mode, (b) Allow sleep mode only if running on battery power (c) Prevent sleep mode. For this matter I will select (c) Prevent sleep mode.

Step 12_Backup Reports
    As with all other backup solutions, ABP10 also creates report each time a backup is created. In this step you can set how many old reports are maintained for this particular backup plan/backup. The default is 27 reports so I will leave it at that.

Please see steps 7 to 12 in the image below.

[​IMG]

8. jasonX

ABP10 can send to you automatically via email the backup reports of each backup creation. It will do so via your My Ashampoo account and of course by allowing ABP10 to connect to the internet for this endeavor. A checkbox is present for you to mark/check if you will allow this feature.

Step 14_Summary
    In this step ABP10 will show you all the options that you have selected for this particular backup plan/backup.

Step 15_Backup Now
    In this step ABP10 will show you that you have to start the backup creation manually. Since I have opted to set it at (a) No Automatic Backups in step 9_Backup Schedule I indeed will have to start it manually though there is really no way to start it automatically after you have finished step 15.

Please see steps 1 to 6 as well as the images during the System Drive backup is on-going as recorded by FlashBack Pro 5 in the image below.

[​IMG]

Kindly see report of system drive backup -- "Partition C_via ABP10" backup report below in HTML.

[​IMG]

I fired up my FlashBack Pro 5 recorder and started the backup process manually (in anticipation of a longer wait period for this backup process).

The whole backing up process took 15:54 minutes for a 55.7 GB sized system drive (used).

[​IMG]

Let it be noted that when you click "Backup Now" it shows there that it is "Preparing..." ABP10 is actually starting to make the backup. Glancing at the elapsed time it shows there that it is "zero" while the backup process has actually started. It actually took 1.58 minutes before the elapsed time started. ABP10 does not count the "Preparing..." time.

Backup size is 54.8 GB versus the C: W8143 size of 55.7 GB.
    A difference of .09 GB (compression).

[​IMG]

System Drive Backup Verification

As every backup needs to be verified in order for us to know if we can rely on what we have or not, it is essential to validate every backup that we do. As mentioned also earlier, backup verification is done manually. So, I fired up my FlashBack Pro 5 recorder and started the verification process manually via the Main Menu > Backup Status list > and double-clicking "Partition C_via ABP10". Showed a window which is the same as Step 1_Manage Backups from where I clicked "Verify".

Please see images of steps 1 and 2 as well as an ongoing snapshot verification process as recorded by FlashBack Pro 5 below.

[​IMG]

The whole verification process took 7:49 minutes for a 54.8 GB backup size.

[​IMG]

9. jasonX

System Drive Backup and Restore > System Drive Restore

Since at this part of the review I have not downloaded yet the rescue disc from Ashampoo servers, I opted to:

So I did that but ABP10 gave a pop-up saying, "this destination contains the operating system. It cannot be overwritten while this operating system is running. Please use the rescue CD...”

See image below.

[​IMG]

Seems ABP10 will not permit restore to the same HDD even if you run it in another system drive-partition. So I tried booting to a second HDD, installed ABP10 and checked if I will be able to restore the Main_C partition of the other HDD. Well in this case ABP10 on the second partition permitted it. See images below.

Thus if you have a single hard drive (well a dual boot at least) for your system drives and you do not have the "rescue disc" you are in bad luck as I have experienced you cannot do a restore of a system drive from the same HDD. It has to be from the rescue disc or another system drive from a "different" HDD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole restoration process of "Partition C_via ABP10" launched from W81_A partition took 25:32 minutes for a 54.8 GB backup size.

[​IMG]

Rescue Disc

The most important component for me in any kind of software that does backup is a rescue disc. I'd say do not use without one as when all hell breaks loose and you at that instance cannot boot to the OS you can just pop-up the Rescue Disc you created and run whatever program yo are using. Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 has that capability. You'd have to download the rescue disk separately as from the Gui it does not permit its creation. The download link for the rescue disc is at the end of the review or in the Main GUI>Menu bar>Rescue Disc. The download is an ISO file which you can readily burn in a CD/DVD or if you fancy you can create a bootable USB which will require another download for its creation.

I have finally downloaded the rescued disc from the link displayed at the bottom of this review. The rescue disc -- ashampoo_rescue_disc_x64 is a 557,716KB download. Used Ashampoo Burning Studio 16 to burn it to a DVD-RW disc.

Booting to the ABP10 Rescue Disc is a bit long as compared to other rescue disc's I've used including that of Minitool Partition Wizard. I see that it is based on Ubuntu. I do not understand why it is needed in that rescue system to know where I am located and the confirmation of keyboard characters even if the US keyboard has been selected already.

Well to make it short I was able to restore the Trial_Partition_Backup to F:\. There was no corruption or anything damaged.

The restore time was a in the window of 27 minutes give or take a few seconds. Not as far from the 24:04 minutes it took me to restore the same backup via Windows 8.1 Pro.

I wasn't able to take great screenshots as I only used a mobile phone and well because of this review I am tired and exhausted to take more :)

Please see screenshots I took inside Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 Rescue Disc > Rescue System.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RGiskardR and dinosaur07 like this.
  10. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

Excellent!! :)

Good job, again, my friend!! :D

RGiskardR and jasonX like this.
  11. jasonX

OBSERVATIONS/CONCERNS:

Some observations/concerns as I used ABP10 to backup/restore partition, system and folder.

1. Redundant functions in Start Screen/Main GUI panel contents.
    The Main GUI 4 panel options seems to show segregation of functions/options but in reality they are inter-related. These inter-relation shows a redundancy that is not needed. It may confuse the user or when I was trying to get a feel of it, struck me as odd. Frequently asking myself. Why is this here? I seem to have seen it elsewhere. Hmmm...Something like that..

If you will analyze all 4 panel of options very closely (with all their inter-relations or shall I say, redundancies) you can just have 2 panels namely:

(a) Create New Backup Plan -- purely a create backup/backup plan function
    (c) Manage Backup Plans -- because the 'Restore', 'Verify', View Reports' functions are already there. You just have to remove the 'Backup Now' which should be in (a).

This redundant function may be a tool to make it an "easy-to-use" application as you can see those functions/options elsewhere and you need not to go back always to the "Main Menu" but I think there should be some proper "order" or streamlining of functions/options here. This redundancy may also be because of ABP10's step-by-step approach to each process making it easy for the beginner in us.

Keeping something sweet and simple as peach is always fine and dandy. Like a cold beer ;)

2. ABP10 hangs around the system tray even if you exit it.
    Some programs do this and like ABP10 there isn't any setting that you can uncheck to remedy that but to "exit it manually" after exiting ABP10 GUI. Though understandable as it is a backup solution and almost all have process/services running after you exit it. But if you use ABP10 as an alternative to your main backup solution you'd want it to stop running when you exit it.

3. Help File needs improvement.
    Almost all of us from time to time look at the "Help File" to check on something that we are in question or for some operation that we do not understand. ABP10's help file will not help you with more of your queries. It will only show the basics for the program and that's about it. In the absence of a user guide you are now lost.

4. User Guide
    A thorough user guide should be ready for download by the user in lieu of the "Help File" as like me there are questions I need to have answers and need constant reference when using a new software. Some important questions I have here were not tackled in the user guide.

"For a PDF version of the program help, please contact our support at [email protected]"

5. NO option to set to start a backup plan/backup at a specific date/time.
    As I have discovered in step 9_Backup Schedule there is no option to start the backup automatically after the backup plan has been created. Furthermore options given in (c) Advanced do not permit a user to set it to start at a specific date and time.

The (d) Advanced option shows when to start as (a) Daily, (b) Day of the Week, and (c) Day of the Month. Only option given is to set it at "what day" of the week or month and the time you want to start the backup creation. No calendar present to provide to set specific date. Scheduling is per day of the week/month and time ONLY.

Please see image below for specific scheduling of backups where in you can set a specific date time for a backup endeavor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Creates a folder in C:\Users, quite unusual.
    ABP10 creates a folder "_ashbackuppb_" in C:\Users\ -- no explanation as what purpose it is.

See image below.

C:\Users\_ashbackuppb_

[​IMG]

7. NO information how to open backup files.
    In Folder backups you can use the Windows Explorer to open the files you want to see but in partition/drives I cannot open it. But there is an instruction in both locations below,

Disk C -- wvn=1cca9456-dfb2-11e5-824e-806e6f6e6963
    Disk F -- wvn=a025d2d4-51bb-11e6-8379-94de802b5b06

On "How to open these backup files"

It says there, "The easiest way to access your data is with our own software." but that is how far it will go.

I do not understand what “our software” is? Is that ABP10?

But if it is ABP10 how will I use ABP10 to open those files?

I was looking in the GUI for something that can resemble how to open the backup file but there was none.

If "our software" means a software other than ABP10 then where is it?

Will I go to support to download it or they will open it for me or what..?

8. Backup Verification is manual.
    You'd have to verify backups manually via the GUI because there is NO "automatic verification" function/option given when a backup is created. Should be considered as an add-in function as it saves time for the user.

9. File/Folder Backup verification is NOT supported.
    I wonder why that is...? That function is essential and a must. You offer a way to backup a file or folder but you will have to verify it manually..? A workaround is that you will have use Windows Explorer, go to the backup storage location and manually check the contents of the Folder (or File) if it is the same as the source.

Now it gets gritty when you have stored it in cloud! As stated. I wonder why that is...? Very odd.

10. File/Folder Restore does not show any log event. It is blank.
    As mentioned in the review, let it be noted that there are no logs to show after a Folder restore has been done. You click "show logs" and then boom! A blank window appears. Even a "no errors" or "restore successful" was present. It is blank!!

11. Recovered Folder is not placed in its original location.
    ABP10 recovers a folder in a unusual way. Instead of directly recovering the "My Pictures" folder in F:\ it restores a folder "Restored on 2016-07-25" which stands for the recovery operation down and the date it was recovered.

Making the full path,
    "F:\Restored on 2016-07-25\F\My Pictures"

You will have to move the restored folder to the original location manually via the "Move To" or simply "Cut/Paste".

12. Restore from different partition of the same HDD not permitted.
    If you have a single hard drive (well a dual boot at least) for your system drives and you do not have the "rescue disc" you are in bad luck as you cannot do a restore of a system drive from the same HDD. It has to be from the rescue disc or another system drive from a "different" HDD.

13. Rescue Disc needs to be downloaded separately.
    Though some developers do the same. It would be more convenient for a paid software to incorporate the rescue disc creation elements in the installation.

14. Rescue Disc needs to know your location, checks the keyboard etc.
    Why is there a need for ABP10 rescue disc to ask me of my location..? Why is there a need to answer a dozen question pertaining to the US keyboard..? These are not needed and only add more minutes to the user instead of him directly using the functions/options of the ABP10 rescue disc in Ubuntu.

15. Infinite Reverse Incremental Backup
    ABP10 says it which allows less 50% space used for backup storage. Kindly see the data below of all the backups done using Version Settings > Infinite Incremental Backups. Not much of a difference (just a VERY small difference if I might add) when compared to the actual size of the backup source and that is as mentioned used with the Infinite Incremental Backups.

Partition Backup
    Backup size is 9.07 GB versus the Trial_Partition size of 9.12 GB. A difference of .05 GB (compression).

Folder Backup
    Backup size is 5.98 MB versus the My Pictures folder size of 5.97 MB. Backup size increased by .01 MB.

System Drive C: W8143
    Backup size is 54.8 GB versus the C: W8143 size of 55.7 GB.
    A difference of .09 GB (compression).

In contrast the same system drive partition (C: W8143) was backed-up via:

Aomei Backupper Pro
    Backup size is 23.04 GB versus the C: W8143 size of 55.7 GB.
    A difference of 32.66 GB (compression).
    Backup time including verification is 10:23 minutes

Macrium Reflect Free
    Backup size is 21.7 GB versus the C: W8143 size of 55.7 GB.
    A difference of 34 GB (compression).
    Backup time including verification is 16:12 minutes

[​IMG]

16. All backups done where efficient and fast. Restore is the same efficient and fast.
    Backup file size creation is at par with other backup solution. Backup restoration is also fare.

17. Step-by-step scenario of ABP10 is great for beginners and intermediate alike.
    Each step is pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

18. Backup storage type is more than enough.
    The options given by ABP10 on backup storage options are great whether it be (a) Local drive or network drive (b) Dropbox (c) Google Drive (d) OneDrive (e) Strato HiDrive (f) 1&1 Cloud (h)MagentaCLOUD.

revC0de and RGiskardR like this.
  12. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 Senior Member

Wow, jasonX, what a thorough review. I must say that your reviews are damn good. Perfect. :rolleyes:We must take into consideration that Ashampoo is at the beginning with their backup software.

RGiskardR and jasonX like this.
  13. jasonX

FINAL WORD:

After all said and done, Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 still offers an easy-to-use backup solution and if you do not mind the "concerns", ABP10 can be a great alternative to your backup software or you can use ABP10 as layer backup. It is always wise to use 2 or three backup solutions as when one fails you have one to lean on to.

For the non-technical and a bit "unskilled" so to speak, how ABP10 uses all the steps to create a backup/restore a backup, manage a backup etc. can be very helpful and efficient as it is constructed to go step-by-step from start-to-finish. Pretty straightforward. No fuss. Something like a "what's-the-next-step-thing" up until you get to the last of the steps and hit "Back-up Now".

To the some intermediate/advanced well I guess from the observations/concerns above you will find it lacking to some extent. On me ABP10 definitely needs some streamlining and improvements if in the future Ashampoo will want to take a stab at the market where Acronis and Macrium are kings. But after a muffin and a mug of piping hot coffee, it got me thinking...ABP10 still gets the job done. Fast and efficient. Maybe I have just been accustomed to using Acronis and Macrium or their predecessors DiscWizard / ATI-WD Edition for a long time and all that I come across as backup solutions have to suffer the fate of such comparison. Oh well... One thing is clear I found myself flying to the different functions/options as if I were using it for a long time. It grows on you and you feel confident using it everytime you run it. So it is evident that it is user friendly and it as very straightforward as it can get when you use it. A little more streamlining here and there plus additional improvements will make me like it more.

Cheers boys :)

Download:

You can download and try for ten (10) days Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 and the rescue disc below.

Download Trial HERE

Download Rescue Disc HERE

Home Page HERE

Stay tuned for the Official Giveaway for Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 here at Tweakbytes soon!!!

:)

Gotta rest now this one was really exhausting :)

revC0de, RGiskardR and dinosaur07 like this.
  14. BC2Tweak

BC2Tweak Reviews Moderator Staff Member

I bet. :D

Have a great rest!! :)

revC0de, RGiskardR and jasonX like this.
  15. jerzy6012.50

jerzy6012.50 Valued Member Known Member

I have the pleasure to use Ashampoo Backup Pro 10 is a pretty good program.
    jason my friend a very good description of the firmware is really cool to me very helpful thanks for such extensive information about this program.

jasonX and RGiskardR like this.
  16. jasonX

Hi jerzy :) Actually was surprised when I tried it out. Was expecting something in the likes of Aomei Backupper..but without a doubt it is user friendly and pretty straightforward enough for any user. If there will be a revision on ABP10 I'll check it out too and see what's been improved. :)

17. jerzy6012.50

jerzy6012.50 Valued Member Known Member

Hi jason :)
    and here comes that the program is easy to use and user friendly, and doing his work for what it is intended for.
    thanks again for the great description for this program.